Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

Just trunk cut my Pindo

earthworm73
12 years ago

My potted Pindo spear pulled a few weeks ago. First I treated with copper fungicide then I found out Pindos don't like CF. Then I poured peroxide into the cavity. So since I am gonna replace it anyway I thought to just trunk cut it a la Jim Hardy style. My first surgery. It was a mess in there and I had to cut it to within only a few inches of the soil line/roots but I found what I think is healthy white tissue. Man did it stink in there. At one point it was a mushy mess inside of that hole kinda like bread pudding or cake batter before it is baked. I got it all out and kept on cutting. It will be nice if it grows but if not definitely a learning experience.

Comments (6)

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Man, you've had a tough time with this pindo and the windmill. And in an 8b zone too. Lots of luck, Earthworm!

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wetsuiter yeah sometimes I think I have a brown thumb. No wait I do have a brown thumb lol. None of my other palms have their spears pulled (including the trashy trachy) except the pindo. I think it was more from apply copper fungicide than anything weather related. Oh well you live and learn. The pindo will stay indoors for a while at least until this late cold blast leave my area.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

I lost a large potted pindo last fall after its second spear pull. Yet my planted pindo has not pulled. Im not sure some palms like being potted house plants. Good luck with it!

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

My Butia Eriospatha pulled from .50" rain followed by 20F(14F officially).......
    all the remaining leaves are fine and it should recover this spring.

First time it pulled!

I think at this size 15F and rainfall are the limit.

Click for weather forecast

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chadec being in the house will not be a permanent thing. Right now we are having avg. temps 10* below normal for this time of year and they are forecasting rain/snow event for my area today. Plus with the inside temps in the 70's this will be a good test to see if there is renewed growth. I would keep it in the garage but it is only in the 50's in there at best and any potential growth would be slowed. Jim Hardy trunk cut his trachys and he saw almost instant growth from the bud with temps in the 80-90s. Trust me a 5 gallon pindo does not make a good house plant.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I cant keep pindo palms alive (and healthy) in pots. They always grow very slowly and just dont look happy when grown in pots for me. They do much better when in the ground for me. I lost one to 25F because it was a potted plant. They are very suceptible to cold when they are potted (all potted plants are more suceptible to cold when potted, but Butias lose a good 10 degrees (F) of cold tolerance when in pots in my experience!
    -Alex