Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I finally woke my 14 ft. 'baby' up from her winter nap.

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 1:20

She looks better than any other year after her winter nap. Looks just like she did when I covered her at the end of October. On Saturday I'll wake up my 8 ft. Mediterranean Fan Palm that's been outside for over 20 years. In about 2 weeks, I'll wake up my 8 ft. Washingtonia that's just been outside for 2-3 years. The Trachy and Washingtonia are growning like weeds!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I finally woke my 14 ft. 'baby' up from her winter nap.

Wow, beautiful palm! Its getting taller and taller every year and healthier too! One of the nicest trachys around and I don't know of any trachys looking like that in any other zone 4s! Looking forward to seeing the Med fan palm uncovered!
What was your low temperature this winter?
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 8:57

Just amazing! do you take the lumber down also. It makes it look potted which is kind of a cool look actually

Mike

o

Awesome!

We will all be following your lead when it comes to covering huge palms.(-:

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

That's just awesome! beautiful work in taking care of that baby.

o

Thanks everyone! Alex, it was an incredibly WARM winter. It got down to about zero, but no lower. Very unusual. Mike, we took down a couple rows of the railroad ties, but just didn't have time to remove them all. I'm excited to pull the boxes off of the others. I'm going to plant a Mexican Blue Hesper fan palm this year. Maybe my Pino palm, if I find time to build another protection box.

o

Wow, only 0F, that is pretty mild for a zone 4 (thats like the equivlant of a zone 10 winter here!). A Mexican Blue Hesper would look beautiful and Im sure it will thrive with your protection methods! Pindos are great palms too, I cant imagine my yard without at least 1!
-Alex

o

How how nice. and your son too lol hahah jk

o

If anyone every asks me who my hero is, some athlete, a politician, some move star, I'm going to say, "no, it's the guy in Zone 4 Utah with a yard full of in-ground palms."

o

Wow that palm is getting huge! Every year that goes by, the entire story of you growing palms that big gets more and more interesting and amazing. Nice job! I wish my trachys grew that fast.

o

Great job again! Can't wait to see your trachy and washy when they are 20' plus.

o

Hi Kaotickelly. Who says that's not me, but my son? Yeah, it's my 6' son, so you can get some idea how tall the palm is from the pic. Thanks Alex. Yeah, this past winter is far different than the -45 and -39 temperatures we had about 15 years ago. Last year it got down to -20, which is pretty normal. Denninmi, no hero here... just a guy with some crazy ideas! Islandbreeze, once the Trachys get established, they will really take off. I actually wish it would grow SLOWER! Chadec, I thought the Trachy was a fast grower, but the Washy grows twice as fast. I'm kind of scared of it. Yikes!

o

Thats funny about the Washys....and you should be scared!

They are really fast!

Find more about Weather in Fairfield, IA
Click for weather forecast

o

Hi Jim! Yeah. It's kind of like the Jack & the Beanstock story. I hope I don't wake up some morning and find it growing out of control! It's not only growing tall, but WIDE. I had to cut most of it's fronds off to get it under the box last Fall. I'm sure it will outgrow the Trachy in no time. I guess I'd better start looking for a crane fairly soon to get high enough to cover both of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here