then and now plus some fun airplane photos

Posted by P.J._in_MD z7a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 2:49

Just got a chance to get a close look around the yard. Some then and now:

April 2011

March 2012 (no protection this winter)

May 2011

March 2012 (no protection this winter)

waggie (never had protection except burlap first 2 years). That emerging spear is all new growth in last couple weeks.

I didn't bring the philodendrons back from FL but did get some of this. I want to put it outside but fear the birds will take it.

Came home to opening trees which is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule.

Winter survivors?? Maybe too early to tell but I see some green among the damage.
Sago (no protection)

Robusta (mulch, leaves, and an upside down planter)

As I might have mentioned, I've been traveling quite a bit. Here are some areas of the country I captured from 35,000 feet via my iPhone and iPad.

Sunset leaving Texas...

Love this pattern over Illinois...

The beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia...

Sun makes the ocean look like ice in Florida...

A little hard to see but looking south from Clearwater, St. Pete, with Bradenton at the top...

National Wildlife Refuge in bottom right and looking south to Crystal Beach and Galveston Beach at top left...

A lone thunderstorm popping up over North Carolina...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: then and now plus some fun airplane photos

Great pics! I really like seeing comparison pics. Looks like things grew very well in your yard this past year!
I always try to get the window seat on the airplane for a reason! The view from an airplane is always amazing (even at night when you get to see all the city lights!) The thunderhead in NC looks like something you would see in June, not March! I really like that sunset pic in TX!

Your sago definitely might have some life in it! I wouldnt dig it up just yet! My sago is long gone (it was potted so it didnt stand a chance), but my Dioon Edule in the ground still looks good. The frond is still mostly green (frond is singular since it only has 1 so far!). Its very slow to flush and didn't make a single flush in the 1 1/2 years that I have had it for, so I guess maybe it will this summer!

Thanks for sharing! And definitely find a protected spot for that spanish moss for now. I lost about 75% of my moss to birds 2 years ago, but they didnt bother with it after the nesting season was over.
-Alex

o

Great photos, looks like your agave is going to outgrow its space soon! I have a small cycad taitungensis that has all yellow fronds now. I'm hoping to see a new flush before long too!

o

thanks Alex. It was a great year with the summer heat and warm winter. My plants could have seen more growth if it weren't for the drought last summer. Most of us in the US saw a great winter that should springboard us into summer 2012. some of those plane pics were taken over the past several months but the thunderhead was just this past Friday. Crazy weather! Dumb question...when is nesting season over? I assume May?

Thanks chadec. I got the agave from Plants Delight. It's an agave salmiana 'Crazy Horse' (Crazy Horse Hardy Century Plant) rated 7b-10. My waggie is from them too...I'm very impressed with the health of their plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here