Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neonrider

What causes Sabal Palmetto to wilt after planting?

neonrider
13 years ago

Had multiple Sabal Cabbage Palmetto (tall) planted yesterday and central foliage two of them looked slightly light green and slightly wilting and softly, but wasn't looking bad yet. Just hours after those two were planted the part of the foliage, most likely the one in the middle started wilting and in the morning those leaves look almost white in color or sickly yellow and drooping down. What causes a cabbage palm to wilt so quickly and I assume it already was wilting during the transportation from and to nursery that delivered and planted them. Yet I thought it will be fine once planted and watered although the nursery owner told me to not water them after planting since they already watered them. Yet hours after planting I watered them as the ground seemed dry. Do you think there is a chance they will recover or could this be some kind of bacteria, disease or simply underwatering during transportation? The foliage is few, the rest was cut back as usual. Two palms out of four are wilting part of their foliage and the other two seem to be fine. The weather is great. Around 80F.

Comments (12)

• chadec7a
    13 years ago

Where these transplanted from a farm? Most sabals have their fronds removed to aid in root growth. If the palms where grown in pots then the wilting is probably just transplant shock. You should listen to the ppl from the nursery. Contact them if the palms don't start pushing out new fronds by summer.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just made photos of one of the wilting palms, please take a look:

http://img852.imageshack.us/i/palmstroublemarch242011.jpg/
    http://img690.imageshack.us/i/palmstroublemarch242011.jpg/
    http://img11.imageshack.us/i/palmstroublemarch242011.jpg/

Thank you very much for your suggestions, advice and information how to deal with this problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1123598}}

• neonrider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

P.S. The nursery owner said that these palms come from a swamp in Florida.

I watered them about 10 hours after planting although the nursery owner who planted them told me to not water as they will be fine in the mist soil, but the ground around them by night seemed very dry and I watered them a bit, like maybe 5 gallons for each palm.

Please pay attention that the spear leaf is d(r)ying, not the side fronds yet.

I have over 30 tall palms in my yard and during the last 5 years planted them all year by year and I never got such a problem with any Sabal palms like this before.

Do you think this could be a sign of bacteria, a disease or a damage to the bud/spear of the palm or perhaps palm dying from underwatering?

• chadec7a
    13 years ago

Did you check the spears? If they came from a swamp they may be rotting. I would start with a copper fungicidal spray.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your advise. I do have a copper fungicide, but the palms are 19 ft. tall and my ladder and me will not reach them. If I climb with a tall ladder there is a chance that the palm tree will fall. I contacted the nursery yesterday and today and am waiting for their answer. They say they got decades of experience with palms yet they told me to not water them and they did not tell me these are problem palms nor how to treat them. Being unable to reach to inspect the bud (the nursery dd not respond yet whether they will come to inspect them) my only option is to get a refund and let them have these two palms back at their disposal or get them replace them with other palms. I was also suggested by a professor in Florida to not plant Florida palms in SC in spring, but wait until summer. Well, I did not know that and the experienced nursery did not tell me that. The palms cost me about 25% more than could have bought elsewhere. Really not a good deal with this nursery.

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

neonrider where are you located?

• neonrider
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tropicpalms and where are you located?

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

in va beach where are you located at? hope the best for your sabals!

• jayinflorida
    13 years ago

The spear in question is dead... looks like to me that they (or who ever dug it) dropped it, thus breaking the center spear off, deep inside the trunk. This will kill the tree if that's the case... the only reason that spear would look like that would be from being broke off at some point... if it's not far in, it might recover, but a lot of times when Sabals die, it's because they are dropped and the center spears, deep in the trunk snap and the tree will die. That's why the others still look green, they aren't damaged. I've seen this happen before... watering had nothing to do with it... You should water your Sabal after transplanting, and often!

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fruit-seed stalks dried out in the middle of summer. They were growing earlier this summer or spring and now August and all 20+ Sabal palms have their seed stalks dry. At the stem they look a bit green, but the end halves are dry and branchy, but no flowers and no seeds developed. Wonder why. All of the palms, same thing - dry fruit stalks, some grown beyond crowns some short. Nearby Sabal palmetto within 1/4 to 1 mile have the florescence stalks hanging and yellow. We had like 2 weeks drought and then we had a lot of rain for a long time. I dfon;t water them because they've been in the ground for 2 to 6 years.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Orangeburg, SC. Was trying to post my location on my profile, but that seems impossible.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Real Problem is this:

The Proof On The Ground

What are some of the results of excessive chemtrail exposure to plants?

Can stop sprouting of seeds,
    Stunts growth,
    Limb die off,
    Reduced foliage,
    DNA damage,
    Changes nutrient distribution,
    Mutatins,
    Effects photosynthesis
    Greatly increased mortality

Continue: http://globalmarchagainstchemtrailsandgeoengineering.com/

Also view the evidence videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvtD_dizuDE

and this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48J6F4PLOlU

Contact your local news channel and newspaper. Don't contact the government, they have the canned answers anyway.