Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to leave Royal Palm fronds tied?

Posted by monkeyjac (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 9:50

About 3 weeks ago I had 2 Royal Palms planted at my house by my landscaping service. The palms were delivered and planted with the fronds tied with twine and my gardener just left them tied up. How long am I supposed to leave them tied? What is the reason for tying up the fronds? I'm in Central Florida. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to leave Royal Palm fronds tied?

It's not neccesary at all unless the palm was shade grown. You can untie them.

o
RE: How long to leave Royal Palm fronds tied?

I agree. I'll admit I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with this. But nurseries always do this...I guess to minimize the risk of water stress on the plant due transpiration through the leaves.

After I got two big ones they told me to leave them tied for 2-4 weeks. I didn't understand so I did some research. As it turns out, most all palms (except for a few like Sabal Palmetto) benefit from leaving ALL the green fronds on and not tying at all...all of this provided that you sufficiently irrigate the palm until it gets established.

Of course the nursery (the same one providing the guarantee on the plants!?) has no way of knowing if you are going to do that. I think that's why they always cut them and tie them.

Of course cutting and tying them also facilitates moving them...But if you are going to water them regularly then definitely untie them! Just my two cents...

Ref: http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/files/47943.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here