Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miniature cycads for container growing

Posted by winnjoe MTL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 9:53

Hello
I see the phrase "miniature cycads" occasionally but I can't find a list of cycads that categorizes them. Is there a good site with a list like that? Or what do you recommend for indoor container growing?
Thanks.
Joe, in Montreal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miniature cycads for container growing

Sago cycads aren't minature but they are good for containers. Lots of Zamias are good for containers also, like the Florida Coontie.
-Alex

o

E. Manikensis is a medium one, not really a miniature, it grows only up to approx. 1.5 m = 5 ft.

I am waiting for my cycads to arrive in 1-2 days! Yay!! One of them is an Encephalartos Manikensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. Manikensis

o

E. Manikensis is a medium one, not really a miniature, but it grows only up to approx. 1.5 m = 5 ft.

I am waiting for my cycads to arrive in 1-2 days! Yay!! One of them is an Encephalartos Manikensis.

Here is a link that might be useful: E. Manikensis

o

Double post! I don't know how this happened, I'm sorry. :)

o

Hi Joe,

You don't say what you mean by "miniature". How big can the plant get? "Indoor container growing" is also a key consideration. Most cycads love lots of sun. You will be looking for an understory plant that doesn't get too big.

As Alex mentioned, lots of Zamias would fit the bill. I have Z. kickii and Z. pumila. Both would fit the bill and both have the "traditional" cycad look. Z. splendens and natelenis (?) are also really cool plants but they don't typically have an above ground caudex. Stangeria eriopus is also a cool cycad that stays small and would take lesser light.

If you've got more room, Cycas daeboensis is nice too. Keep in mind that most cycads don't grow very fast, so get a small one and you may not live long enough for it to outgrow your space.

Paul

o

Thanks all. This is helpful.

I don't know what I mean by miniature! I've seen the word used but haven't really found a list or a description. But you're right - it might be the next generation that has to worry about it if it gets too big!
Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here