Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixieboy_gw

Sabal palmetto growth rate

dixieboy
13 years ago

Nowhere near the growth rate of washingtonia but this palmetto popped from seed in the corner of this rasied bed & has given me a very good growth rate when this species has a reputation of be'in slow, very little feeding since it's germination. Note= Did not take notice of how many years ago it did show up but growth has been swift!! 2 pics

{{gwi:1123901}}

{{gwi:1123812}}

Comments (21)

• islandbreeze
    13 years ago

It must be nice having palms like that just pop up in your yard with no special attention. Love sabals, very nice.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

Very nice and with some trunk.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Islandbreeze & Andy, it is a job keep'in seedlings pulled up be'in there's not all that much space in the bed. Thanks

• butiaman
    13 years ago

dixieboy,
    That's a fat trunk on that S.palmetto.Do you use palm fertilizer on it or just a general all purpose fertilizer?I've seen some in Atlanta that came up from seed and they have really fat trunks also.I think they grow faster and bigger and with a fatter trunk if grown from a seed dropped or planted in the ground.Why I say that is because there are a lot of them around planted at 10 or 20ft tall,but they have no where near as fat of a trunk as the ones grown from seed in the ground.I have some Sabal seedlings growing in pots and one in the ground.They were planted at the same time and from the same batch of seeds and the one in the ground is twice if not three times as big as the one's in pots.I took one of the seedlings out of it's pot and was shocked at how long the roots were.The roots were three to four times as long as the top growth.I think they do much better if the roots can go as deep as they want from the get go.At Least that's my theory.Great pictures as always dixieboy.
    Randy

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Couldn't rememember if i ever posted a pic of our butia supply of seedlings, many trying to come up where i havn't mowed since fall.
    {{gwi:1119716}}

• butiaman
    13 years ago

dixieboy,
    It looks like all your palms are thriving.I just saw where you posted a picture of your Butia palm and the seedlings coming up around it.Do you plan on keeping them?Why I ask is because the Pindos I've been buying from HD aren't as cold hardy as they are supposed to be.There coming out of south Florida,that's what the vendor told me.I want to try some from seedlings from a climate close to mine.Maybe they will be more cold hardy.If you want to get rid of some of them,please let me know.I've been wanting to talk to you about something anyhow.You can email me at randythomason@ymail.com
    Randy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Hey Dixieboy,

Looking good in old "Dixie" LOL...Way to Go with the Sabal...it definately likes the area...perfect soil conditions for that palm..

I agree about the seedlings..its best to go ahead and plant them..they do grow very deep...i remember when i traveled down south..especially around Hilton Head..and would see some seedlings...i wanted to dig them up..and bring them home..some of them were very small..but the root system went very deep ..so i couldnt get the darn things up!!! LOL..they won!!!

I let them be and decided to collect the seeds instead...

Hope the seeds are doing well for you Randy!!!

Anything from the "low country" will do well...especially those seeds from HH..

Hope everyone is doing great!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Happy SPring!!!

Laura in VB

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Randy, email sent.
    Laura, yes, spring is indeed a welcome sight, winter just is to long for us palm folks to see our plants lay dormant!! Thanks all for your comments!
    {{gwi:1123903}}

• jayinflorida
    13 years ago

Nice looking Saw Palmettos you've got there!

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jay, another cold hardy that preforms well, planted that one as a seedling & was dug around Palm Harbor in your state.

• jayinflorida
    13 years ago

Cool! I have some silver and green forms growing here at my place... they've really taken off the past year or so. Have you tried any silver ones? I know that they say they are not as cold hardy...

You're growing the kind of palms that interest me most... I have Sabal Minors, Sabal Louisiana's, Sabal Lisa's, Sabal Palmetos, Sabal Etonias, silver and green Saw Palmetos, Needle Palms, a Windmill, silver and green European fan palms and a Pindo. I have a bunch of Sabal Lisa's in pots. if you're ever down this way... let me know and I'd be glad to give you a couple.

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jay, i'm with you, i get a total thrill out of my cold hardy palms & watching them go through their growth stages! Included a couple of pics, first one is of a green form saw that popped from seed in middle foreground, #2 pic is minors under the live oaks but there is a silver saw amongst them that is not visible & doing good, also have another one under a different windmill. Thanks much for your offer!
    {{gwi:1123904}}

{{gwi:1123905}}

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Dixieboy,

Nice looking pics...as always!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Laura, always appreciate your comments & compliments.

• butiaman
    13 years ago

dixieboy,
    I don't think there is a sabal palm you don't have,LOL.Your Trachy's are doing great as all your palms seem to be doing.I got your email today,thanks for everything carl.

Laura,
    The S.palmetto seeds are doing fine,just very small and slow growing.Maybe they will speed up when summer gets here.I need to get me some tree pots for them,there hard to find unless you want 100 or so.I have them in 22 ounce cups with holes drilled in the bottom for now.I didn't have good luck with the B.capitata seeds.I only got three to come up out of probably 20 seeds.I read up on them and it says you have to keep them at 80 degrees for 24 hours a day for good germination rates.
    Thank you also Laura.

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

Dixie super nice pics! as always as everyone says! they are looking great especially after such a rough winter... keep posting those nice pics! -Justin in VB

• dixieboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Justin, yes, i think everones really ready for green grass & all that comes with it after the winter blues, keep in touch! Carl
    {{gwi:1123908}}

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Sorry to dig this thread up from earlier this year.

I was struck my Butiaman and Dixieboy's observations about sabal palmetto seedlings growing at different rates in the ground compared to their potted counterparts. I have observed the same thing from my sabal experiments this year.

I had gathered a few hundred s. palmetto seeds in Savannah in March. I cleaned the dried shells off and soaked them in water for 24 hours. I planted an entire tray of peat pots in a seed starter kit. The leftover seeds I scattered in a few spots in my garden beds.

The seeds in the peat pots sprouted amazingly fast and I put the them in larger pots. Throughout the summer they grew well, but I lost quite a few to too much or too little water. The remaining potted seedlings great.

However, in mid summer I started noticing sabal seedlings popping up all over my garden. Now, those seedlings are nearly twice as tall as the pot-raised ones and are getting their second leaves. It'll be very interested in seeing if they survive our winter and will keep close watch over them. I've had s. minor seedlings winter-over and a friend here has had baby windmills naturalizing for years.

• InsanePalmNinja
    11 years ago

All the Join of Sabal palms. Hardness's Mother F**Kers in the world. God Bless American.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Those seedlings are now going into their second winter. All survived last winter, which was mild, but still a few nights in the mid teens; virtually no snow either. Only one seemed to suffer any winter burn, but it was the one that was most exposed to the winds. I have a lot of faith in sabal palmetto.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!