Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Palms of southeastern Virginia

JohnnieB
10 years ago

There's no question that there are some very nice palms in Norfolk, at least at the Norfolk Botanic Garden. I photographed a bunch of them when the Southeastern Palm Society met there a few years ago. But I would love to see how these palms look now, after the east coast's coldest winter in 20 years! Would also love to see more post-winter photos of other palms in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas as well.

Lots more photos at the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Norfolk Botanic Garden photos

Comments (14)

• steve_nj
    10 years ago

I'll bet most are ok. Perhaps the Chamaerops are burned.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Agree, they should be fine in that zone. Those palms look healthy and all have full crowns. It just depends on what the lows got down to. Just saw pics of a sabal at Garys on facebook, lower fronds burned but it was looking fine otherwise.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics! I hope they handled the cold okay. Some might have seen damage, but Norfolk definitely has a decent enough climate for most of them to be fine. The med fan palm and the butia might have seen a bit of damage but I would be surprised if they completely died especially the med fan palm.

-Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

It hasn't been a good winter here in VB....

I have lost two huge Pindos with the temps that went down into the single digits. I'm bummed.

Some trees have done ok. My huge Palmettos look like they will make it, but I'm not so sure about the other Pindos in the backyard.

You can see driving around the damage from this winter. Zone 8 isn't supposed to have the record lows like this...

Take care..

Laura

• chadec
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics Laura, hopefully your large pindos will come back. Just because their fronds are all burnt doesnt mean their done for. I have had smaller ones come back from spear pull.

• LagoMar
    10 years ago

Laura, don't give up on your Butia! It will come back, just give it a month or two. John, those ones in the pics you took should be fine. The only one at the Botanical Gardens that will have been damaged was the European Fan. possibly quite heavily damaged based on what I've seen around here. Sabals are fine, Trachys are fine, Needles... did they even realize it was winter? But Butias and Chammys took a big hit here! At the beach, (aside from those planted directly in sand) it was a bit less severe, with lows in the 13-15 degree range vs 6-13 for the rest of the city. The butias there look significantly better, but the European Fans still look rough! Here is a pic from today in VB.

• LagoMar
    10 years ago

Oops, the Butia in your pic is probably toasty looking too now, John. Should be back to normal in about 6 months. Thank you for posting these BTW. And Laura, you have a beautiful yard! I'd love to see more pics and posts from you! Ever post at the Hardy Palms and Subtropical board? Here is an example of what most Butia look like at the beach after this brutal winter. Amazing how much of a difference between low teens at my place 2 mi inland and mid teens at the Oceanfront and Sandbridge.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

Interesting thread... you all seem very knowledgeable. I also live in this area and have a small windmill palm, not picture worthy at this point, but it survived the winter fine.

Curious about sago palms here. I got one as a mother's day gift last year but brought it in the house for the winter. I'm glad I did now, considering how cold the winter was. I would like to plant it outside this year and leave it there to overwinter, because it did not do well in the house and I don't know if it could take another winter in the house. But especially after this winter, I don't know if it's a good idea. Anyone know?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting to much lately.. Lots of things happening with the family, but mostly everything is alright!!! I'll try and post more often!

Chadec.. So nice to see you.. You made me smile to see you post and I am hoping my Butias will be alright. I am Sure the one in my front yard is history. The others in my backyard are questionable. They all have signs of the freeze and I am Sure I will have to cut them back hard this spring. I am just going to wait until the temps warm up a little to let those energy levels be strong when I decide to cut the fronds back. I want them at their peak to withhold any more stress...

Hi Lagomar!! Nice to see you as well!!! Always nice to see another " 757" in the forums!!! I am Keeping my fingers crossed.. But , thank you for the kind comments. I have missed posting over here and I will say it is nice to see the familiar names!!!

That picture that I posted was when we received 12 inches of snow.. That was before the temps really dropped down Into the teens and the windchill was around 5 degrees for days.

Il keep you all posted on what is happening in my neck of the woods..

Thank you John for this thread.. It's fun to see the pics of the Botanical Gardens! Always a fun place to visit!!

Hi Sara!! Sago palms can be placed into the ground here, but the ones that I have seen from this past year. ;-(. Not to sure if they will make it. I also had them a few years back and kept mine in containers and they just really didn't do well. My neighbor down the road has some beauties in his yard, but the cold temps are playing with them as well.. If you plant outside, just protect during the winter and I am sure you will have good results. This winter was hard on all of the mature palms. Mine have been in the ground for about 19 years... I am Sure most will live, but I will be so upset at any loss..

Take care you all.. Nice to see you!

Laura

• LagoMar
    10 years ago

Sara, sagos are definitely hardy in VB! Once established there are many winters that pass with little or no damage. This year, complete white out! You will need patience, but they do flush in May. Think of it as a semi-evergreen perennial. Years like this, straight up perennial. Need to deal with the white fronds a while. Laura, same thing for your Butia. I am 99% sure that if you have enough patience even your front yard Butia will come back. Several years ago I had one of mine lose every frond but it grew a full head back by the end of the summer. If you have the patience, my bet is it will pay off.

• Plant1truth_teller
    10 years ago

Evrythings jes fine here. Thank you!

• Plant1truth_teller
    10 years ago

You jes caint control evrthing includin the weather Mrs B!

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for keeping my post on top! Since you're so interested in what I post, I'm sure you'll find my DC Tropics blog very interesting, and I'm on Twitter too, @DCTropics!

Here is a link that might be useful: DC Tropics blog

• Plant1truth_teller
    10 years ago

Shure. Anythng to let you keep yer control over evryone. XOXOXO