Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phoenix roebelenii

Posted by AliceV30 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 11:51

We bought a triple palm and are wondering if we can split them up and plant separately. Will that harm the root system? Also how can we prevent the dates from growing or blooming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phoenix roebelenii

I have two of these growing in pots, which were in the same pot originally. I split them in mid summer and both of them look great still so I'm assuming it can be done since mine were successful. Just be careful and try untangle as many roots as possible trying not to tear. Also if there are any that are to hard to untangle, I have heard its better to cut them the rip them. That's what i did and it worked out for me. As for the other questions I'm really not sure. Good Luck!

o

you can separate them like stated above, make sure the knife is clean and sterile if you do any cutting. I would bet they are seperate palms anyway and not suckers from one plant so it shouldn't be hard to separate them. to keep the dates from growing whenever you see a flower stalk come out just cut it off. the dates don't appear till after it flowers..no flowers no dates..

o

I had a big pot of these and took a saw and cut right down the middle, potted them up and they grew fine. There is no way you can untangle roots if you have a big thick root ball. Go for it, they will be ok.

o

Pygmy date palms don't really have "dates." Yes, they bloom and bear fruit but their fruit is more of a small nut, than a date. There really isn't a sure fire way to prevent them from blooming. It's a natural process. It's like saying you want to prevent the wind from blowing lol. Just cut the bloom stalks and you won't ever have to worry about the nut clusters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here