Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pygmy Date Winter Protection???

Posted by palmetto-pal 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 12:00

I have a Pygmy Date palm i got at a Kmart for $14! heres a pic. it isnt this big because i cut it back a little. it is in a pot in my garage for winter but it rotted along with a butia a friend gave me! :( i poured Daconil Fungal Killer in them and my friend says they should come back. if they do, i plan to separate one of the trunks from the clump of Pygmy Dates and try it in the ground and see if i could get them to live where i do. whatwould i have to use as protection? i dont think i would be interested in making a mini greenhouse. i was thinking about tying the leaves up and wrapping the whole thing in clear plastic wrap and putting mulch at the bottom. would this work??? i hope it does. i think they are so pretty and it would be great if they could live where i do!!! also, if anyone has any pics they would like to share, please do.

Pygmy Dates
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pygmy Date Winter Protection???

Pal,
Not sure where you are located, but unless you live in a 9a+ area, you are not going to have a PDP survive without major protection. I had serious leaf damage at 29*F Last fall.

Craig

o

I think even Craig's suggestion of z9a is a long shot (zone 9a mean lows in the low 20s). They are not frost tolerant, so anything below 32 would damage it severely. I'm in zone 9b and I throw a sheet over mine on cold nights in winter to keep the frost off (but keep in mind we stay in the low 30s all winter long)

o

I'm in a zone that changes every few years from 8b to 9a, and one year, I didn't have my greenhouse setup to keep my pygmy palms in for the winter. All but one died, and that was at about 23 degrees. The one that survived lived for 2-3 more years on its own in the ground, dying back to the ground during each winter freeze, but when it hit 18 degrees this year, I think it's safe to say that it isn't going to come back. This freeze got my majesty palm too, after it surviving through several of our winters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here