Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The winter that just won't quit!

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 12:55

Wow, got 8 inches of snow last night, after a forecast for 3-6 inches in the region and 1-3 inches in the city! Here are my palms, or what's left of them:

March snow

Same view in July last year:

Garden

Dreaming of summer...

Lazy morning

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The winter that just won't quit!

Holy cow. It just missed us. I wouldn't have thought anybody got snow though. We were at 30F, I would have figured everything south would have gotten rain.

o

No snow here, we are seeing ice all day though. Temps are stay right below freezing too which is not helping already damaged palms.

o

Wow, DC has gotten hit pretty hard this year with snow. Snow this time of the year is not too common and that storm was the biggest March snow storm on record for DC if I remember right.
I have snow in my forecast for next Tuesday. Average high next week should be about 56F-58F but we'll have 3 days in the 30s and low temperatures that will approach daily records.
I am done with this endless winter!

I love those summer pics though! Hopefully summer won't be cold like spring likely will be.
-Alex

o

Wow, Stay warm everyone! Spring is in full swing in CA. I'm harvesting Chard, Spinach and green beans already, along with the last of the avocados and citrus. I couldn't imagine dealing with so much snow.

o

It's the poor man's fertilizer.

o

You are right, John. I see another noreaster on the way...

o

More than three weeks late in putting out some of my plants for the season...Sagos, Washys, Butias, etc. I grow increasingly nostalgic for 'normal' seasons and weather...no seasons are normal here anymore!! It has been like this for several years now...too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too windy, too humid, too stormy, too snowy...etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here