Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Closing Fronds

Posted by earthworm73 WA z8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 13:02

I had a couple of young palms that were starting to close a couple of fronds. I was suspicious that the soil in their pots was holding too much water. When I checked I was right and the young palms were starting to have root rot I think. Anyway I changed the soil and I am much happier with how it drains. My question is now that the problem seems to be corrected will the fronds re-open?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Closing Fronds

Are these date palms by chance? How long ago were they replanted? How does new, center growth look? If it's been more than a couple of days, I would not expect them to reopen. Date. Palm fronds will start to fold up if water stressed, but will reopen within a short period of time after being watered.

o

My coconut palms get like this when they are underwatered but they always perk up as soon as I give them a soaking. Not sure if overwatering causes the same problem, but if it is rot that is cauing the fronds to close then those fronds might not open up again. But new fronds might still grow from the center!
Do you have any pics of it?

Good luck!
-Alex

o

nj nope they are not date palms. They are a brahea clara and a sabal bermudana. One was re-potted yesterday and the other this morning. I know it wouldn't be in the next day or two but I was thinking maybe a week.

o

Now I aint sure if I have experience with root rot or heating coil failure, probably heating coil failure... Anyway, I would think a huge sign of root rot would be seen when you transplanted your palm. How did the roots look? Also how strong are they? I would think you should see signs of dying and/or dead roots along with a palm that is very wobbly.

Hope your palm recovers from whatever it is. :) Good luck
- US_Marine

o

TZ here are the photos you asked for. The first pic is on the day I got them and potted them up for comparison. As you can see all of the leaves were fully opened.
B. Clara & S. Bermudana
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Could it be cold damage?

o

ib yeah it could. I know that terra cotta pot is cold and takes a while to warm up. And the other pot is a thin cheap one. Couple that with wet soil and yeah I could see that cold could contribute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here