Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle palms enjoying full afternoon sun

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 13:17

I should have bent down to get a better picture but here are my two bottle palms. I can't remember just how old they are but I'm thinking this will be their 4th or 5th summer. I do remember I started them indoors in the winter. You can see a potted Sable Minor, Butia, and some filiferas in the background as well.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle palms enjoying full afternoon sun

BEAUTIFUL PALMS! I hope to own two of these by the summer! Great JOB!

o

Very nice bottle palms. They are definitely starting to get a "bottled trunk"! Im sure they are really loving the warm weather!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Bottle palms really look awesome the older they get. Just be careful of sunburn. I had 2 Spindle palms that got sunburn EVERY year if they were put in full sun. I ended up getting rid of them because they couldn't take the light.

Can I ask where you got your sabal minor? Also, did your butia see some cold damage? It looks stunted.

o

Thank you all

Island Breeze-
I honestly don't remember where I got the Sabal. I know i had it shipped about 4 years ago. The Butia strugled in some cool wet weather last Spring. I almost wrote it off but it made a nice comeback this winter. I;m not too worried about sun burn because the UV index is only 4 where it will be 10 by mid-June. I took everything out last night and if the weather people are right they will be out for a week until we cool down next Thursday. I think they got their first taste of rain water since fall this morning. I couldn't believe how mild last night was. i slept with the window open. it was 56 at 5:30 this morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here