Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mastiffhoo

Hardy Citrus

mastiffhoo
12 years ago

So, this weekend I took a quick glance outside and noticed that my hardy citrus was covered with flowers. This is very exciting for me. I am sure it is due to the mild winter, but in 4 years I have never been close to having this many blooms.

If your are curious as to what citrus I am referring to, look up Pungo Palms - this is where I got them.

I will take pics when I get a chance.

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Nice! Is it only 4 years old? I really like hardy citrus and maybe I'll give them a try. Definitely take some pics when you can. I'd love to see how tall it is and how many blooms it has!
    -Alex

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Alex,
    Will do on the pics - I'm a school teacher (special ed) and this is a busy time of the year for me - so I will do it ASAP.

I can't imagine they are much older than 4 - when I got them, they were very small. As a matter of fact, one was so small i accidentally ran over it with my mower - I was very upset! Naturally, that one is much smaller than the other...

Brian

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Is this the very thorny type of citrus they often use as root stock?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I saw the pic! Its a really nice sized plant and looks great with blooms. Thanks for taking the time to post a pic.
    And wetsuiter, Im not sure if its used as rootstock (I dont think it used as a rootstock often, but it probably could be). It is very thorny, probably the most thorny citrus out there! (is it still considered a citrus or is it part of its own family now?)
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I saw the pic too and it answered my question. I believe commercial citrus growers use this for rootstock to increase hardiness. The small fuzzy fruit are crammed full of seeds and extremely bitter. Not sour, but bitter. They are covered with thorns which are a major deterrent for gardeners, but they do have great smelling citrus flowers, so that is the allure.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

The pictures are mostly Citranges, which are hybrids of sweet Oranges and Trifiliate Oranges- the Citrus I think Wetsuiter means. While both Citranges and regular Trifoliate are used for rootstocks, the original purpose for Citranges was to make an edible Orange that could be grown outside the traditional citrus area.

Sadly, they taste bad, although you can cook with them. However, they look just like regular orange trees and thus make a good conversation piece. But again, while you can grow them in Zone 7, they probably will not fruit.

Wesuiter- you should try as I have read about a Citrumelo (Trifoliate/Grapefruit hypbrid) fruiting on the Eastern Shore.

• mastiffhoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Like I mentioned, I purchased these at Pungo Palms in Virginia Beach. According to their website...
    'Several years ago I read an article on a hardy citrus tree and became amazed at the thought of growing my own citrus. I located a nursery in Washington state, and ordered the hardiest of all the species, no matter what they tasted like. After several years of trial and error we have grown several hardy trees. Along the way I met Dr. Motyka who had been growing hardy citrus for years with his help we have added more varieties to our collection. Some of the trees have a pleasant taste and we are always searching for more varieties.

Several members of The Southeast Palm Society also grow hardy citrus. The Palm society has an annual expo called the ' Hardy Citrus Expo' At the expo we discuss new progress with hardy citrus, new varieties, and plants can be purchased from several members who grow them.'

Here is a link that might be useful: pungo palms

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Trifoliate orange, yes Jack. I first saw them in my public garden plot in Alexandria, VA before I moved to the beach and more recently at Monticello. I am fascinated by them, but the thorns are just too off putting. I am interested in trying a more appealing hardy variety. I've read that kumquats are the hardiest of the citrus (apparently not even truly citrus) because they actually go dormant in the cold. Any recommendations there?

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Trifoliate orange is Poncirus trifoliata. There is also a Trifoliate orange variety called "Flying Dragon" which is just as thorny, or maybe more so, and with somewhat contorted stems. It's generally regarded as more ornamental than the more common Poncirus trifoliata. I have seen claims from growers for both of these to have hardiness to zone 6. I have no experience growing either.

{{gwi:5901}}

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Wetsuiter:

Try any Citrange or Citrumelo. They look just like regular Citrus trees (in fact they are). Thomasville Cintrangequat would work as well. I have 3 Citrumelos and 1 Thomasville growing in my yard.

If you want to utilize protection, I would go with a Satsuma as that is edible out of hand.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Edibility isn't as important as the look of real citrus including the flowers and fruit. If its a sour fruit that can substitute for a lime, that's a bonus. Got pics of yours flowering and fruiting. We do have a slight winter advantage over DC/NoVA so I'd prefer not to winter protect.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Mine were planted last Spring and Summer and with this mild Winter we had, the jury is still out.