11 years ago

field grown

• eriktampabay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mature

• miketropic
    11 years ago

im heading to clearwater in june hope to find a good palm nursery I can pick up something small and send home.

• eriktampabay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike I would not recommend these for your zone. I am located in Parrish FL.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great looking palms! They really grow up to be beautiful and tropical.
    Mule palms don't stand a chance north of zone 8b long term without protection (and without protection they won't make it through any winters north of a zone 8a). But I've grown butias well with protection and know of some fruiting age ones in my neighborhood here in zone 7 (they get wrapped up in the winter) so I think Mule palms are worth a try if you know what you are doing! Since they are expensive, I wouldn't risk it unless I had a great spot and protection method since I would never risk losing a great palm like that!
    -Alex

• miketropic
    11 years ago

well I wasnt looking for a mule palm on purpose just some nice palms to send home maybe a nice washy for outside and a small bottle palm for inside..as nice as mules are I don't think it would make it many years here even with protection..think I am going to try a butia though

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

What is the name of that Nursery?

• eriktampabay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mule palm nursery

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

Just went onto your website. Your Nursery is very impressive. Funny that when I spoke to Nursery owners from Georgia to North Carolina and inquired about Mules, they made it seem like they were rare and hard to come by. Now-all of a sudden, I see your Nursery and am witness to Mules in all sizes as far as the eye can see.

Hey Erik, if my formula works, maybe it can open up the Mules to Zone 7-8 with confidence of survival!

• eriktampabay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kokomo We have been doing Mule palms since the late 90s we were under private contract until 2007 per our contract we were unable to tell anyone that we were producing them. Everything we produced went to one grower. As far as I am aware there are is only one other nursery that is commercially producing this palm and even then if you combined all the pollinators out there you could get around 20,000 Mule palms a year. That is a drop in the bucket in the palm world so they are still considered rare. Most common people out there have never even heard of a Mule palm. You can see more of our photos at https://www.facebook.com/xbutyagrus

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

Thanks Erik, that explains a lot. It really is a beautiful palm and I think it has a big future in sales. My background is in marketing and I must say, I hate the name and think something so pretty deserves a better nickname...for marketing value alone. I totally understand why it is called a Mule and the name is to far established to change it now.

Hey, one other question while I have you...are you involved in growing any Butia X Jubea Hybrids? I'm also curious if you have an opinion on them as well.

• eriktampabay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have tried the Butia x jubaea once but was unable to get any germination. I have been searching for a good source for Jubaea and Parajubaea pollen but have not found one as of yet. Someone just recently trademarked a new name for the Mule palm and I for see many others following suit to give it a new name.

This year we are working on some not so cold hardy hybrids such as the Foxy lady and the Super Parrot also known as the coconut queen.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I have seen some nice fox ladys and even a var. one there really nice but not for my climate..if kokomo can get this formula thing right I might have a mule palm in the fron yard next summer.

• Kokomo-JB
    11 years ago

Amen to that Brother Mike :)