Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (14)

• User
    14 years ago

Encephalartos.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Yep, I looked up Encephalartos and I agree. It is a very nice plant and yours looks really healthy.

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

Nope, not an Enceph

Most likely Dioon edule or maybe D. spinulosum, the most commonly found of the Dioons

You can tell by the opposing leaflets which overlap in an alternating pattern, and by the long and narrow, light colored and fuzzy cataphylls

x

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

...probably D. spinulosum because of the spines, not D. edule

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Yeah, I can see it also being a Dioon because the leaf segments are longer than Encephalartos and other characteristics like the trunk (caudex). Still a very nice plant that looks like it will get lots of growth in this summer. Where did you get it?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked 10 of them up at my local home depot I'll keep one and I'm selling the rest on ebay

• xerophyte NYC
    14 years ago

HD in SI is selling Cycads other than C. revoluta? That is quite strange. How much were they?

x

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Yeah, The home depots in staten island dont usually have really exotic finds, but sometimes (with any plant store), you can get really lucky. Enjoy!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I forgot to ask, Are there any left?

Good luck!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought them all they said they are not getting more because this was an accidental shipment that was meant to go to Cali.
    Since I'm selling them i'd rather not say how much i paid.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Darn! Well that explains what a rarer cycad is doing around here. Now I think Im going to Home Depot a little more often :)

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

other than this cycad
    The best things ive seen at home depot and lowes are regular bannanas (small) 5 foot tall robellini palm, and cold hardy palms

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I think the best thing I have ever seen at a Home depot would be the 10 foot tall, huge clump of butterfly palms I saw last year being sold for only 30 dollars. I also saw some stromanthes once, and also an imperial red philodendron (which I bought) Occasionally they have some very nice plants, but I havent seen anything as rare as you cycad. Hope you sell them at a good price!

Good luck!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i once saw a single fox tail palm about 6 feet for 100 dollars but i didn't get it

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting