Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

another day of record shattering heat!

andyandy
12 years ago

I swear i don't know what month it is. We just hit 85 for the 2nd strait day. That is warmer than the average high for here in the middle of July. We have been over 70 for 10 strait days and over 80 3 strait. the record high for yesterday was 73 and we blew it away. All of my palms have been out for all of this time and I can see that they have taken off. One of my bottle palms is pushing up a new spear. The party ends this weekend with the high on Sunday being 60. This is going to be really strange having to pull almost everything back inside (my potted sabal should be fine. I uncovered my basjoo and cut the dead groth back up. They have shot right up also.

Comments (11)

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Wow, thats pretty warm, we havnt even hit 80f yet over here. Its been rainy, cloudy and cooler than average for a while now. But I bet your palms are loving the warmth. Wont be long before summer :)
    Good luck with everything.
    - US_Marine

• mastiffhoo
    12 years ago

Not too bad here either... 80(ish) for highs - mid 50's for lows and this has been consistent for the past couple weeks. This is by far the earliest I have seen cannas pushing up.

• User
    12 years ago

High near 80 F today and another warm one tomorrow. Big, puffy, Caribbean cloud desk or crystal clear--though mornings have been starting out in dense fog as a result of still chilly, ocean waters. Everything is out for the season except my Hyophorbes and Caryota mitis. See the cool down in the extended but nothing risky. Still need RAIN. Deciduous Magnolias starting to leaf out, forsythia at peak, and Butterfly bushes that retained all their leaves, have been growing for weeks now.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

I would love to hit 60F let alone 80F! We haven't seen 60's at my house since February. March has been one to forget as we definately took a step back season wise to like January! All of this "cold" weather b-lining us from Alaska (stupid Alaska j/k). Silver lining is the past several days have been gorgeous and the next 3 days its more of the same until the rain and cool temps return. Also I am happy cuz the 49ers didn't get Peyton Manning. lol

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Absolutely mind blowing-actually called a heat wave by NWS.

A week of 80+ temps have got it looking like late April around here-
    just gorgeous weather...and back to upper 70s to the 80s by Sunday.

Wonderful to live with the windows opened up again...temps
    were like early Sept averages,lows in the upper 50s/low 60s and highs 80-84F.

Click for weather forecast

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

Same here Andy, my I uncovered my basjoos a couple weeks ago, but they really started to grow this past week. I just hope we don't get a freeze to knock them back down. Funny thing is though, is I really havent seen any growth out of my palms yet. They must take longer to respond to warm weather than bananas. Must need consistently warm weather for weeks before you see growth. Washingtonias included, which kind of surprises me.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Once the ground temps hit around 60F at 8" growth will take off,
    my Nainital has grown 3"+ in the past few days
    and the Washys about an inch every 2 days now!

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Looks like a good chance for a freeze here on Monday (31F forecasted). Not too happy about that since that will definitely mean I have to bring many (most) of my potted plants inside and I might even consider covering a few hardy plants that are in bud and/or bloom right now (camellias in bloom, roses have full foliage, wax begonias survived the winter and are quickly growing).

We are back to average temperatures here in NYC. Upper 50s maybe a 60 or 2 in the forecast this whole week. Average for this time of the year is 58F and we will have more days below average than above this week. Midwest and south still look very very mild though. Hope that weather comes here soon, but I dont think I will be bringing my tropical plants back outside again for several more weeks because I cant keep bringing things in and out.

-Alex

• User
    12 years ago

I would play it by ear, TZ. Check the weather again tomorrow, forecasts have been running warmer than forecasted for a while. I might bring in the Citrus that are flowering or in active growth. Everything else is gonna have do make it on its own. At least at this time of the year those cold temps will be for fewer hours than in January---and that really makes at big difference!

• User
    12 years ago

I brought in my Citrus collection just in case it got too cold last night, but we just got down to 31. I left the cycads, Canary Island Palms, and Washys outside. Glad it did not drop into the 20s. Now the weather feathure that is weird is the dryness.--Relative humidities in the low to mid teens is unheard of at most any time of the year in the area, -and this is early Spring?! Check out how much of the Northeast is under Red Flag conditions due to dry soils, low humidity, and wind.--Crazy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Flag Conditions now

• us_marine
    12 years ago

Well if it makes you feel any better, we are getting all the rain, humidity and cooler temps :P lol.

Yeah the new growth on citrus trees are very tender. Last year we had a fairly mild winter, a few light frost but nothing too bad. Avocado's didnt even have any damage. But we had a late light frost in spring and the new growth was burned pretty good.

-US_Marine

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio