Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

Solar Flares and 72* in Park Slope Brooklyn March 8

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

The Solar Flares seem to have thrown the US a much above average winter and now Spring. The Long range forecast for NYC is in the 60s almost everyday next week with another 70* day. We'll see if that holds up. How could this be real in EARLY March! Answer: Solar Flares. Our winter seems to have been shifted to the Eurozone for now as coastal Metro New York enjoys a Mediterranean-like March.

Comments (10)

• shawn_nyc
    12 years ago

Sounds good to me LOL! How are all your plants do Greg?

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Shawn,

Everything is well, how about your palms and are the lizards still multiplying?

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Do solar flares necessarily contribute to warmer temperature? I don't recall that lesson in my meteorology and climatology classes in college.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good question wetsuiter. How is your back doing? Did you try the heat?

Answer: They disrupt electrical grids and also cause/contribute to VERY unusual weather patterns. Especially record breaking solar flares. They can create sustained swings of below or above normal temps, blizzards, flooding rainfall vs. destructive drought, increased cyclonic storm intensity like tornados... starting to sound familiar:) We happened to benefit from it as an unusually mild winter and now super early Spring. However it also can swing back and strike us with an "prolonged" icy cold blizzard in April right down the East coast to DC. However, observing our "pattern" reveals that's more likely in Europe this year then us.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I hear that solar flares dont really impact too much, but if you are right then we have a few decades of very cold winters ahead because solar activity will be winding down soon.
    I hope April wont disappoint. The worst thing would be a beautiful March and then freezes in April. Hopefully it will continue to be a mild spring and it seems like it will be since there are no pattern changes in the 15 day forecast.
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Better today with heat on my lower back. This getting older stuff ain't for the faint of heart. Beats the alternative.

I did some research today on my question. Seems like opinions and research is mixed. Mostly the disruption of the power grid due to the charged solar particles. It's what generates spectacular northern lights when those charged particles hit atmospheric gases. It's prominent at the pokes because of the earths magnetic belts converge at the poles.

Most of the actual "heat" generated hits upper atmosphere and is deflected. There apparently is some heat getting through, but not enough to really create heat waves necessarily. Great topic of discussion.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I don't know if they heat the earth.My TV was acting crazy last night for about an hour.Netflix stopped a couple times and I had to restart it.The weather man said it's been the warmest winter here in a decade.I like the warmer weather,but we've had way to much rain.We get one maybe two sunny days and then it rains for a day.We've had a lot of strong windy thunderstorms this year.I wonder if the Solar flares have anything to do with more severe thunderstorms?I did notice the moon was red looking last night.I know there is a name for the moon looking red,but I cant remember what it's called.
    Randy

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Solar flares do not heat the earth but disrupt meterological patterns causing record cold or warmth. They are not sure how the relationship between solar flares and weather works, but its real - look out your window:) ANOTHER day in the 70s and its more like May than barely mid-March here in Brooklyn NY. ABC news here in NYC said they would not be surprised to see upper 70s to 80 some days next week. That's plain alarming and solar flare induced reflecting disrupted pattern.

• User
    12 years ago

Greg, the heating of the earth in general, and over long time frames is due to ever increasing levels of greenhouse gases (co2, methane, and yes, water vapor). We are very lucky in having a sun as stable as the one we have despite its regular, cyclical, and predictable solar outbursts. We got to 75 today and will also probably hit 80 next week. In general, our weather has been abnormally extreme the past few years--all over the planet. Feels like we have been stumbling to reach a new norm, but once we do, it will persist despite the solar peaks and lulls.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi NJOasis,
    I agree meterology as a science is still in its infancy. One consideration, green houses gases cannot warm us up as much as one big volcano can cool off the atmosphere. Its give and take. Solar Flares and their effect is still new science and it depends the scientist school of though at the time. Theorectically, I stick with the scientists that support solar flares as a meterological causitive agent. I don't subscribe to it because it a majority view, which it is, but because anything like solar flares that can knock all the electrical grids is effecting atmospheric particles here on earth. The weather channel had some great clips on how the flares strikes and its worth viewing.