Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcara7

HELP!!! Windmills not looking good/spear pull

jcara7
11 years ago

Hey everyone, Happy Easter! my father and I just uncovered our windmills to see how they fared over winter, since I've been worried from reading some threads on here. Unfortunately i was correct to worry because the spears pulled on both of the windmills...our needle looks great though at least. I was wondering what the steps were to try to make them come back. I did the peroxide solution that's been mentioned on this forum by multiple people. I'm not quite sure what the next step is. I've seen people cut back the trunk until they see healthy tissue so i wasn't sure if that's the next step, or even necessary. Ill post pictures when i get a chance this week.
Thanks for the help!!
-Joe

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Is their any green left on the fronds? If there is, then there is probably hope that it will grow a new spear. My young potted trachy was left outside all winter unprotected and the spear pulled, but it has already started to make another one (the fronds were mostly burned but the petioles of the fronds remained green).
    Post pics when you get the chance!
    -Alex

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Alex,
    That's great news. Yeah there is some green left on them. Ill post pics tomorrow. Haven't had a chance between school and work I've been getting home after dark. I'm hoping mine come back also. I wish it would warm up already. It's been in the 50s but not steady enough! Spring needs to actually get here already!

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone. Here's a few pics. The windmills are worse then I thought on second look. Not sure what to do with them. As for the needle it looks good but one spear did pull out. It wasn't very moist at all though at the bottom so I'm hoping it was just one. There's a pic of the other spear that did not pull out below as we'll. I put the needle first then the windmills. Any tips for all three would be great! Thanks!

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New spear on needle. Think it'll be ok?

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Windmill

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Second windmill

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Needle looks o.k...get a picture of the newest leaves looking down on the Trachy.

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Center

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last one. Sorry for all the posts. It wouldn't let me post more then one pic at a time. Maybe because I'm using my phone. Anyway thanks for the help. Hopefully they'll come back. If anyone could let me know what they think that'd be great! I'd really like to do all I can to save them.

- Joe

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

The needle palm will pull through with no big problems. They tend to lose their spears when young, sometimes the mother plant dies entirely, but the clump itself will become pretty well established and hardy after another winter or 2.
    The trachy definitely does not look like it has much hope. I'd give it a trunk cut when the weather is above freezing and see if there is some life in it. If there is, then keep it well taken care of and see what happens! Usually when they are trunk cut they will start growing relatively fast if they are alive (you should see some type of growth in under a month).

I hope it pulls through!
    -Alex

• jcara7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again Alex. Ill give that a try once it gets a little warmer out. As for the needle. Should I treat it for spear pull? I haven't yet because I just noticed this morning. It was barely wet though and showed no signs of rot on the end of it. Should i just leave it? or treat it? If I should, what should I use? Peroxide is ok? Thanks again!
    -Joe

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996