Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palms Waiting

Posted by chicago_palm 5A (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 15:37

So we moved in December. So I dug them up last October and potted them. They spent the winter in an unheated garage of our new house. I was concerned that they were too big to dig up.

Here are pictures of the old garden:IMG00079-20110911-1840

IMG00080-20110911-1841

IMG00081-20110911-1841

IMG-20130331-00124

European Fan Palm
IMG-20130331-00125

Windmill Palm

IMG-20130331-00126

Pindo Palm

IMG-20130331-00127

A little stressed, but they are going to make it. Thanks for looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palms Waiting

so you did nothing special to transplant them? I think we are going to move next spring so I don't want to plant my palms just yet and shock them again so soon. guess its in the pots for now..yours look like they will be just fine.

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 19:10

o

Nothing special. I found the largest pots available and dug up as much of the root system as possible and put each palm in a pot. The palms were outside until December 1st. We moved in early December and they have been in the garage since then. After Wednesday, it looks like it will warm up finally and I can start working the ground.

I agree its a good idea to keep yours in the pots this season, if your planning to move. Mine were stressed.

o

They look pretty good! Definitely not too stressed out especially considering that palms hate being dug up! Can't wait to see them go in the ground. I plan on doing some planting too soon, the ground has been unfrozen here for several weeks now, but I don't like to do planting until after the last frost (but before things start warming up too much because of all the bees in my yard which I have already seen this week!).
Good luck with them in you're new yard!
-Alex

o

Might be in the same boat this year.....keep them dry until the weather gets WARM.
Wet soil and cool root temps after transplanting is a tough combo for plants to come back from...esp if they pull.

Should be fun to plant a new garden-hopefully some warm weather will arrive and then the fun begins!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here