Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdpalms

When to take palms outside?

MDPalms
10 years ago

I have 3 palms I need to take outside when it starts getting warm and I am wondering at what temperature should I take them out. It looks like after this Thursday (according to the forecast) its going to stay above 40 at night.

Phoenix Roebelenii
Foxtail Palm
Christmas Palm

I have been moving them from inside the house to the garage all winter, except for the Christmas Palm which has been in a greenhouse since November. Occasionally when it has been warm I have moved them outside for the day. Just wondering at what temps should I leave them outside?

Thanks!

This post was edited by MDPalms on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 18:58

Comments (3)

• User
    10 years ago

Manila palm is very tropical! This year so far is freaky COLD. No way I would even consider that one at this point. Too cold still for foxtail.. WAIT! If the three, my Roebellini will go out first. In a normal year, in Zone 7 NJ, that might be some time in April but you have to watch those temps as frost can still occur, and wet and cold is not helpful even w.o. Extreme cold. WAIT,

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

I've been taking my pygmy palm in and out all winter long when the days are at least in the 40s and I've kept them out as long as the nights are above 30F. It was outside for the last several days. For the rest of the time, it stays in my unheated garage. Interestingly my pygmy has had no problems from the cold this way, but my potted livistonias are showing damage! Hopefully they recover, but I will have to plant some annuals under it to keep the pot looking full until it does.

Foxtail palms and Christmas palms are much more tropical. Even if the days are above freezing I would not take them outside until the days in the 50s are gone and nights are above 40. Don't put them in full sun right away either, they will need a few weeks to adjust back to the outdoor sun after a winter indoors.

Usually like NJ said, I have all my palms outside by the 2nd or 3rd week in April (except for maybe the cocos) but this winter I am definitely waiting until the end of April unless we have some nice days in the 80s and there is absolutely no sign of cold weather returning. My pygmy palm will probably be permenantly outside starting this weekend if we are lucky enough to stay above 30F from that point on.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• MDPalms
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info!

The Christmas Palm is in a huge greenhouse exposed to full sun all winter so I would guess I could put it outside without protection when I go pick it up. Plus the location I put it in starts to get a some shade in the afternoon. I probably won't go get it until next month but I can always move it in the garage if it gets too cold out.

The Roebelenii is in the garage at the moment but I have no windows, just a fairly large grow light. I can easily move it in and out if it gets too cold. I am thinking about putting it outside later this week and only bringing it back in if it gets below 40 at night. Would that work? it has been inside most of the winter but I moved it outside when it was near 70 for the day and would rather not bring it back inside the house if I don't have too.

The foxtail is only about 4' so it is pretty easy to move around. So it should be ok outside as long as it gets above 50 and not below 40?

tropicalzone7 - does your garage have windows? Just curious how much light you get in there?

After Thursday it looks like the lowest high temp will be 51 and lowest 41 for the next 10 days. I just think they need more light, which is why I am trying to get them outside. They aren't much of an issue to move around if needed but I don't want to do anything risky since I have almost gotten them all through this winter.

I also have a bunch of windmills, pindos, etc. but they are much easier to leave outside and only have brought them in when it got below 20.

Thanks!