Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaotickelly

Help Sad News

kaotickelly
12 years ago

As some of you people know, I overwatered one of the bigger w.robusta last week. I think it's not doing good now. The three older leaflets are turning yellowish and have kinda wilted and looks like a half closed fan now. Im sad. And the new leaft sprout that is growing out isn't growing as fast as the other one. Maybe im giving it too much sun it get partial shade and sun or that overwatering really got to it. ugggh im so mad at myself for doing that i hope that it doesnt die it took 6 months to grow that big and i dont want to sow another anymore. Now its growing slow ill post some pictures. What can i do I think it may be sick

Comments (6)

• kaotickelly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another thing is that i sowed them in september last year and maybe they arnt use to it getting warm here i dont know

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

just be patient, washingtonias are almost bulletproof!
    theres a seedling growing in a cracked sidewalk on my street right now. It gets oil runoff, dog piss, flooded and trampled and still keeps trucking on. I will have to share a photo of the little guy on here.

• kaotickelly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHAHA thanks ericthehurdler your funny thanks for the inspireation and how sad for that little washingtonia lol but yeah post a pic of it so i wont feel so bad lol jk

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Let it get a bit dry and it should be fine. Like Eric said, these palms are nearly bulletproof. They are very invasive weeds in zone 9 and up! They will grow on the cracks of sidewalks, in the middle of a lawn, and pretty much anywhere that it can find some soil! The newest fronds still look good on your seedling so that is a big plus!
    -Alex

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

It's true, washingtonia, as well as phoenix canariensis, are noxious invaders in the garden. They will come up right between your other plants and pulling them out requires you to disturb the roots of neighboring plants. they will also sprout right up next to your house and if you fail to notice them the first year, you will have a big thorny problem the next. Other times, they'll sprout next to a sprinkler! Soemtimes they come up right in the middle of an Aloe Arborescens clump, and I won't notice them until they've poked their fronds above the 5 foot tall shrub! That's when taking them out gets troublesome. I live on a palm lined street, and with so many hundreds of mature palms within a one mile radius, I have to be on the constant look out. I have a few of my own, and they are amazingly beautiful trees, but I do have to keep an eye on their seedlings.
    All that to say, your seedlings look fine. They may be adjusting to being indoors with less light. Keep your chin up! These are very hard to kill.

I stepped outside and snapped a few photos of these little volunteers for you to see :)These have endured searing heat (110F +), frosts, wind, drought, and the mighty clipping shears!

See if you can spot all four Washingtonia Seedlings! (3 of them had been cut back and are growing back out!)
    {{gwi:1125257}}

This is a phoenix Canariensis Seedling
    {{gwi:1125258}}

Another Washingtonia
    {{gwi:1125259}}

This one is pretty large. It is growing right up next to the foundation of the house so it will need to be removed soon. Keep in mind, this one receives NO water except the less than 10 inches it gets annually as rain. Also, I cut back the fronds to make it easier to dig up and pot up to give away.
    {{gwi:1125260}}

This one is next to a sprinkler and right up next to the sidewalk.
    {{gwi:1125261}}

I'm telling you! indestructable! haha

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pic! They definitely give an idea of how willing these palms are to grow! Once these palms start growing, they cant easily be stopped! Cold and lightining (and wind) are the only things I can think of that will kill an established washingtonia. (Fire, heat, drought, bad soil, and floods dont seem to bother them!)
    -Alex

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living