Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

After winter update

statenislandpalm7a
11 years ago

This year I decided not to protect my trachys. I had some mixed results so next winter I will protect them.

nanital did the best out of all the unprotected palms

waggy

windmill

This windmill lost all of its leaves and the spear pulled. Last winter it lost all of its leaves too even though it was protected. I'm probably going to replace it.

Sabal minor was protected and it looks great. It grows so slow I can't risk leaving it unprotected.

sabal louisiana

This pindo has done great in previous winters. This year i accidentally damged it when the protection over heated. It was over 100 degrees. I built a cold frame so that it gets a head start and recovers. The stems are still green so i am hoping for the best.

Yucca alofolia got a little flattened from the snow.

Cactus bed got some damage.

This is the first year I planted winter annuals. The tropical beds are empty during the winter so I planted ornamental kale and dusty miller. The juniper is in a buried pot. The orleander in the back was protected. The leaves are crispy but the stems are still green so I think it will make it.

purple kale

Comments (13)

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Lots of good stuff-hopefully some day it will warm up and they will make a speedy recovery.

I bet your mailman or lady loves delivering there-or will soon-LOL

• jacklord
    11 years ago

I have left my Trachys unprotected the last two winters and they are fine.

However, they are much bigger than yours. If you wait until they have grown more, I think you could probably leave them unprotected.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Everything is looking pretty good! The trachys definitely gain cold tolerance as they age. My unprotected trachy hasn't shown any damage so far this winter, it is a slower grower than my protected trachys though. My oleander went through this winter with just some frost cloths over it and it got some damage but definitely will make a full recovery.

Hopefully things will all start growing soon and we can start planting things by April. This weather has definitely been pretty cold this month and Spring is on hold. The average high for this month in my yard so far is only 45F and that will probably drop after this week if the forecast is right (March's usual average high is 51F). It looks like December will end up being a warmer month than this March was!

Can't wait to start seeing some 70s and 80s. My guess is that won't happen for another 3 weeks.
    -Alex

• chadec
    11 years ago

Man those trachies took a beating. Hopefully they all pull through. All the cherry trees are in bloom down here so it shouldnt be much longer before spring.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will definetly protect the palms next winter. It is colder than usual but as soon as it warms up the trachys will take off. Next month ill start to bring plants outside and plant bulbs. I keep the cactus trimmed so it doesnt get in the way.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Crazy what a difference a year makes- I had all my palms outside and the Washy had been uncovered for a week and a half by this time last year....already had the Agaves in the ground too!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

A lot of my plants were out too Jim! This March has been really cold and it's looking colder! Actually right now this month has been colder than ANY month last winter! Right now it's 34F and cloudy, it looks and feels like winter out there!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now its actually snowing here. This cold weather needs to warm up.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

It's sticking too! If I didn't have a calendar, it'd be hard to tell the difference between this 10 day forecast and one in early February.
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

May be a major snowstorm coming early next week-I hope not!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked the forecast for my area it should be almost 50 by next Thursday. It looks like it going to warm up soon.

Here is last years weather for the next 10 days. It was alot warmer.

Actual: 51 : 44
    Precip: 0.02
    Average: 51 : 33
    Precip: 0.14
    Actual: 60 : 41
    Precip: 0.00
    Average: 51 : 34
    Actual: 66 : 46
    Average: 51 : 34
    Actual: 77 : 48
    Average: 52 : 34
    Actual: 72 : 56
    Average: 52 : 35
    Actual: 67 : 56
    Precip: T
    Average: 52 : 35
    Precip: 0.15
    Actual: 79 : 56
    Precip: T
    Average: 53 : 35
    Actual: 77 : 57
    Average: 53 : 36
    Actual: 63 : 53
    Average: 53 : 36
    Actual: 53 : 46
    Precip: 0.06
    Average: 54 : 36

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's high was 38 the lat time it was this cold on march 19 was 1997 with a high of 39.

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Yea I am dying to unwrap and bring plants outside.