Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redrayderz01

Will my Mexican Fan Palm come back?

RedRayderz01
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I posted this originally as a follow up to my original thread I started 2 years ago regarding my Mexican Fan Palm, but I figured I would start a new thread in case no one read that one.

Anyways, my Mexican Fan Palm looks really bad after this brutal winter. I live in Frisco which is 30 miles north of Dallas. We had a lot of Ice that would stick around for days and the temp wouldn't get above freezing for 3-4 days. Also had a few extremely cold nights where it got to nearly 10 degrees.

I am hanging on to a sliver of hope that it will come back this spring due to some spots of green at the base of the youngest fronds. Other than that, all fronds/leaves are completely brown.

I will post another picture of the entire tree after posting this.

Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts!

-Bill

Comments (7)

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the whole tree. :-(

• us_marine
    10 years ago

That's not looking good, I'd say its toast. But the good news is I have heard many times about washy's recovering from bad freezes. Give it some time when warm weather arrives to be sure.

- US_Marine

• User
    10 years ago

Not likely, I'm afraid. Fortunately, they are so inexpensive, readily-available, and fast enough. I tried two in the ground last year...unsuccessfully. I have lots in big tubs that get protected. This has been the Winter from hell for millions! You might wanna try these species in your area.

Sabal minor
    Sabal minor 'Louisiana'

Raphidophyllum hysterix (Needle palm)
    Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill), some shade for this one in Dallas area
    Maybe also, Butia capitata and Chamaerops humilis.

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. Wish I could keep this sucker. It was a beauty. I probably will stop trying to plant palms around here. Oh well this was only $100 bucks at Home Depot and another $100 to plant it.

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

Goodness! Palms must be more expensive to buy in your area than in mine. Though I've never looked specifically for a Mexican fan palm. But I haven't seen any palm over 70 dollars here, most much less.

Why did you pay to have it planted?

I wouldn't give up altogether on palms. You just need to pick something more hardy. I would take a good look at the list njoasis gave you. I can't speak for the rest on her list, but I know windmill palms are some of the hardiest available. The one I have - newly planted just last spring - stayed green through all of the inches and inches of snow we got this year (so unusual for us!) and I never for a second doubted it would be fine.

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This palm was $100 but it was an amazing deal. I guess you can't really tell from the picture, but the palm is pretty massive for that deal, and the trunk is really thick. at One time it was about -6-8 fee tall with the tallest frond.

I do have some potential good news. I messed around with the palm yesterday afternoon and tried removing all of the spears and foliage near the bud. A lot of it was wet and dead looking. Ialso took a saw and tried to remove as much as I could and even took off a litte bit of the top of the bud. I do see a lo more green in th bud than I thought I would see. I have high hopes that ths will come back late spring or in the summer. I just wish the temps would warm up sooner. It was 34 degres this morning here.

So, if I see a good amount of Green deep down within the bud, there is a good chance it will start growing new fronds eventually right??

Yeah I have 2 windmill palms in the front of my house and they do fine, they just dont look as good as a mexican fan palm to me. Also, windmills are more delicate and we have severe winds here all the time....One became loose and bent over so I had no choice but to take it out and replant it. Now it looks very bad but im hoping it just shock and that it will come back too.

• RedRayderz01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sara82Lee -- I paid to have it planted because it was extremely heavy. It took 3-4 guys just to wheel it up onto my lawn guys truck. It had to have weighed somewhere around 250-300 lbs with that root ball. The lawn guys had no Idea what they were getting into and I thinK i got a steal for $100.