Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Cold Hardy Test Bed For the Winter of 13-14

Kokomo-JB
11 years ago

I just had a meeting with a well known Restaurant/Catering Hall located on the Long Island Sound near my house. It is actually featured on the TV show "Royal Pains" all the time as it is one of their filming locations. The Owner (who flew in from Florida) hates the "Fan Palm" look and only wants Pinnate Fronded Palms. I told him that the closest thing that might have a chance of surviving is the Butias. Once he found out that you need to wrap them over the winter(and I'm only talking about December through Feb) he was turned off. In the past, he ordered Queens and Malaysians Coconuts and basically throws them out at the end of each season...claiming the cost of doing business. I have found this to be common practice on Long Island-not only with businesses but with homeowners as well. Trying to see some good come from this, I told him that I will order him what he wants BUT at the end of the summer he must let me run experiments using the palms which he considers expendable. I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to test my 2 different anti-freeze formulas on palms. My controls will be unprotected, one will use my anti-freeze once a day, one will use it once a week and one will use it once every 2 weeks. I will do this for both the Queens and the Malaysians-using both formulas. I'm kinda excited about having coconuts to test as they are so sensitive. If they work on them, then I will truly have something amazing. When the time comes, I will create a thread just for this experiment and update it daily with pictures of how it progresses.

Comments (8)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Sounds like a really cool idea to me. You might be on to something and its worth a shot.
    But the coconuts will never make it even if it does work on other palms like queens, dates, cidp's, pygmy dates, butias, etc. Coconuts arn't only cold sensitive but cool sensitive as well. So they need winter warmth to survive. which is why they are rare in Southern Cali where it may not even see frost.
    Good luck though. Let us know how it goes :)
    - US_Marine

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Soldier!
    Boo Yahh!!! One thing I learned from my good friend who was in the SEALs...Go Hard Or Go Home! :) I doubt any magic elixir will ever work on Coconuts but is a good measuring stick as to how effective this can be...and if for some miracle, it works to even raise it's hardiness to even a zone 9 then it will have an enormous effect. Check out the formulas progress on the grass a week later...after lows in the high 20's, snow and ice-it's time to mow the lawn!!!!! I just took this picture-Monday morning 8:30 AM 28, degrees. Amazing

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 12:21

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a simple winter test for those of you protecting palms in mini/makeshift "green houses" next winter....At the beginning of a major cold spell, get some dry ice and a large bowl of boiling hot water. Place the bowl of boiling water inside the greenhouse and then put the dry ice in the bowl and seal up the green house. The effect of the carbon dioxide gas released will make the plants naturally cold hardier by stopping the process known as evapotranspiration.

As quoted from an article which can explain it better than I ever could....

"Plants give off water through tiny pores in their leaves, a process called evapotranspiration that cools the plant, just as perspiration cools our bodies. On a hot day, a tree can release tens of gallons of water into the air, acting as a natural air conditioner for its surroundings. The plants absorb carbon dioxide for photosynthesis through the same pores (called stomata). But when carbon dioxide levels are high, the leaf pores shrink. This causes less water to be released, diminishing the tree's cooling power.
    The warming effects of carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas have been known for a long time, says Caldeira. But he and fellow Carnegie scientist Long Cao were concerned that it is not as widely recognized that carbon dioxide also warms our planet by its direct effects on plants. Previous work by Carnegie's Chris Field and Joe Berry had indicated that the effects were important. "There is no longer any doubt that carbon dioxide decreases evaporative cooling by plants and that this decreased cooling adds to global warming," says Cao. "This effect would cause significant warming even if carbon dioxide were not a greenhouse gas.""

DISCLAIMER: I never tried the Dry Ice Experiment. It just makes sense based on existing science and data derived from the global warming effects of carbon dioxide and its effects on plants. As for Global warming of the planet...I have no opinion on that and feel that there are too many factors to be considered beyond rising carbon dioxide levels to be sure of anything.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 9:29

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

I am surprised Wxman has not contacted you(posted here) since he is now working on the same thing........

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope never heard from him ever. But that said, I wish him the best of luck and hope he succeeds. Any win in furthering the hardiness of palms is a win for us all. FYI: If my formula works, all posters on Palms & Cycads will only pay for cost and shipping if they want to use it. Not looking to make a profit on the enthusiasts of this particular blog...just wouldn't feel right.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FYI: This is a picture of the section that I treat once a week. Same as the section I treat everyday, but a little less growth and not as deep green. Both pictures were taken minutes apart.
    May have to try this on bald people :)

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 12:13

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I think this is a wonderful idea and could open up 10 or 15 new types we could grow in colder zones so I am all for it good luck. I am curious, since I am sure we all have had this idea.. how did you go about starting the process? I wouldn't even know where to begin to make a feed that would/could bump cold hardiness

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Mike!

Basically the way to start is common sense and luck. Most of the Posters on this thread (Like You) can fit my total knowledge of Palms on their pinky finger. First, I researched how palms grow, why and how the cold affects them and then look at filed research on chemicals, compounds, minerals and nutrients that affect these processes. Mix the ingredients with different measures until something looks effective testing it out on a cheap distant relative (grass). Once I see some positive results, I try to see if I can make the formula stronger and more powerful by add more of what I think is the active agent. I always kept saying to myself..."If a Needle Palm and Dwarf Palm can do it...why not others? Maybe they just need a little help." Truth is I don't know enough to stop me from doing something most people with knowledge would never do so that helps. Also like most discoveries, it was found totally by accident. A Genius I am not. :)

Check out the picture I took this morning...yesterday, as anybody in the NY Metro Area can say, it was below freezing, with ice storms turning into snow storms which lasted through the night. It's like the "live"grass is giving of metabolic heat which seems to be melting the snow around it. Still looking lush and deep green...and growing!!!!!

I can't wait to test it out on the Malaysian Coconuts this coming winter. I'm not getting my hopes up, but hey, you gotta try.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 18:09