Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of palm fertilizer

Posted by gregplantaine7 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:05

I have this palm specific fertilizer that is supposed to be used on only in-ground palms but I also used it on one of my potted palms and am debating on whether to use it on my other potted palms.
Would it be safe to use it on the others or should I wait to see what the result will be?
It is a slow-release fertilizer.
Any advice would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of palm fertilizer

The main danger I see is a build up of salts. The ground is a good buffer against that. It has all the micro organisms and other 'wildlife' which can absorb excess chemicals/fertilisers and spread them further away. You don't get that in a pot. A pot doesn't allow for something designed for use inground. But a good flushing with clean water now and again could over come that.

o
RE: Use of palm fertilizer

It is a granular fertilizer and I know about the buildup of salts. I was mainly wondering if you think it may help speed up the growth of the palm(s).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here