Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcput

ID Please

pcput
10 years ago

We bought a house in FL in Jan. and we have a palm tree in front. Can anyone ID which palm it is? First pic was taken in May and the second one taken in Nov. I'm guessing it is now dead and will have to be cut down. Any suggestions on how to do that? I've heard, cuts like any other tree to disastrous on chain saws depending on which variety. I'll be at the house in a couple of weeks and hope to get it down if we can do it ourselves. Thanks for any help you can give. Peg

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

It's a canary island date palm. It looks like it wasn't very healthy in your first pic but it is definitely, unfortunately dead in the second pic. Not sure what the best way to remove it is. A lot of people need a crane to remove date palms. I don't know if I would do it myself, but yours is probably still young enough for it to probably be doable without a professional if you really know what you're doing and are very cautious.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex, I would guess it's 12 to 15 feet high so it isn't to big. I know from a pic it's hard to judge height. I don't know how quick they rot but don't want it falling when I'm not there. We still live in VA and won't be moving down for a couple more years. For now it's a vacation home. There's a nice looking sago (I think) in front too. Think I need to educate myself if I plan to plant another palm :( Peg

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Palm trunks tend to be pretty fibrous. I've found they tend to clog up chainsaws. For one small job like that it shouldn't be an issue to stop and clear the fibre out every now and then. I haven't cut down a CIDP so don't have direct experience with them, but I've cut down many other palms (taller than yours). I'd assume you (or partner) are trained in chainsaw use? They can be unforgiving and deadly, and it all happens in a split second. Take care and good luck.

• plantsman56
    10 years ago

Palms are hard on your chain the way bamboo would be but +1 on the fiber. You just need to clear it out a few times. Make it drop away from the house and you should be good. From your picture, that IS a sago (Cycas revoluta) on the right.

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tropicbreezent and plantsman56. I'm thankful for all the good info. I won't be cutting it down but my DH, son and and son-in-law would be the ones tackling it. They all have dropped trees lots of times but never a palm. Thanks for the ID on the sago. There is another small one in a pot in front of the house too. I think it will need repotting soon or maybe I'll just find a place in the ground to plant it. Here's a better pic of the sago and you can just see the little one behind it on a plant stand. I'm thinking it might be planted too close to the driveway so may have to deal with that one day. Thanks again you all have been very helpful to a newbie who now will have to learn about tropical plants. Peg

• plantsman56
    10 years ago

I tried to edit last night but it didn't work. I was saying palms are not as bad to cut. That large sago isn't going too get Amy bigger, just ,maybe a bit more trunk. Doesn't look like you would have to move it. Watch out for Asian scale on that pant, for future reference.

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my! I looked up Asian scale. "Scary" Anyone had any luck treating it? We will be at the house next week and you can bet I'll be giving it a good look over. I did find I had a better pic of it. Thanks for all your help. Peg

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To update on my dead palm, well we didn't cut it down. It has got new life. We just got back from almost a month at the house. After a week of doing other jobs we noticed a hole being dug in the palm.

And then we got this pic at 3 weeks

We believe it is a yellow tailed flicker woodpecker, so its new life out of a dead tree. Peg