Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kokomo_jb

Cold Hardy Test Starts TODAY!!!!

Kokomo-JB
11 years ago

Patience has never been a virtue of mine. I was at HomeDepot today and saw Majesty Palms selling for $12.00. I know that Majesties are rated Zone 9a and I know we still have some cold temps ahead so I said...What The F**K! Let's make early spring interesting. The weather forecast for Long Island is highs of 45 and lows between 30-32 degrees from Monday through Wednesday. It's not cold enough to kill them but the low temps should cause visible damage to the frond's tips. Either way I figure that these babies will be ready to go for next winter-unprotected. I will post pics on Wednesday to show how they fared. FYI....Digging into the grass and breaking through the roots felt like concrete!

Comments (43)

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another picture. Damn that grass looks good!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

they had some on sale at lowes for a dollar the other day, I had to pick one up. since these seem to be really picky except in cali they should be a good first test..grass looks crazy lol

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike!

If this works, you can test it out free of charge! I hope this is the real deal.

• prinbama
    11 years ago

Best of luck to ya. I doubt they survive a winter unprotected. I sure do hope I'm wrong.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...I don't want to get my hopes up either but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Today's a really nice day (66F by my yard in NYC) so at least the majesty palms will have an opportunity to enjoy some nice weather before the cold tomorrow. They should survive though since mine have been undamaged into the upper 20s. Keep us updated!
    -Alex

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex!

We might get down to 30 over-night the next 2 days- hardly a test but I guess I'm more curious to see if it grows fast and strong like the grass. This next winter will be a great test as these guys will have absorbed and be full of my formula. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if this Zone 9'er can make it through next winter unprotected...then it's Phoenixes & Butias for everybody in Zone 7!...possibly Zone 6 :)

The picture is a grass patch I dug out when I was making a hole for one of the palms.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the same patch resting on the ground....you can plug a sink hole with this chunk :)

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well after 2 days and nights of frost, rain, frigid winds with gusts of 25+ MPH and actual temps hitting 30 degrees over night(wind chill was measured in mid-low 20's) the Majesties look like they did when I planted them on Sunday. I wasn't expecting much in the way of damage but I'm glad to see that there was no damage what so ever. I think it gets warmer from here on in so the true winter test won't be until next winter. For now, I will see if they grow as fast like the grass. At the end of the summer, given its size and the location (NE) if I get anything over a foot in growth, I would like to consider it due to the formula.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another picture. The fronds are a little on the tattered side due to the high winds over the past 2 days.

• 3.2Whites
    11 years ago

Kokomo, you are crazy amazing! I love it!!

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 3.2. I'm just your average zone 7'ner who's Kookoo for Coconuts...Palms that is :)

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

Ok fill me in. What is this formula you speak of? How in the hell is that grass green?

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Erik!

Impressive, Right? This is the third year that I've gotten these results with grass. The treated grass in the picture has remained green the entire winter. It grew a little over the winter months but it started to take off about the time I saw perennials sprouting up. It is growing at a rate faster than it naturally would during the summer.

While I can't release the contents of the formula-for obvious reasons, I can tell you my original Hypothesis and how I approached the problem.

First, let me repeat something I said from an earlier post...most of the posters on this site can fit MY knowledge and experience with plants on their pinky fingers. That said, I don't know enough to be persuaded not to attempt things that most would automatically think is a waste of time.

Problem: I want palms in NY...all kinds of palms.

Reality: Zone 7 has its limits and requires extra care to keep those genus that can live here happy & healthy.

My Hypothesis: Maybe the key to extra hardiness lies in the palms metabolic rate. Will the metabolic rate generate it's own protective inner heat that will help protect the palm and increase its tolerance to cold. There might even be other natural protective benefits if I can keep the metabolic rate up.

Using palm's cousin- grass, as my initial test subject, I created (through trial and error...many errors) a mixture of specific vitamins, minerals and a couple of other key ingredients that act like steroids. Having gotten the results I wanted, its time to test it on palms. I will tell you that the root system of the grass was extremely tough to cut through with a spade. This formula is the real deal when it comes to grass-I hope the same can be said after the test on palms is complete. Rest assured Erik, if it is a success, you better start growing more Mules cause there's a lot of fellas up North that want them...Me included! Butias, Mules, Sabals, Washingtonias, Mexican and European Fans, etc. can be regulars in z 7 & 6. Coconuts in z 9 & 8. Lots of market to be had up here, Mid West and Central Plains.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Regarding the heat generated from the increased metabolic rate....the snow that covered the treated grass melted quickly as you can see in this picture.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

nothing short of impressive

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike!

How's your palm doing? That was different formula-not the same as what I'm using on the grass but I did discover it while doing the original trials. Beets are amazing-actually all root based vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals. Horseradish is another amazing root. It makes broccoli look like romaine lettuce.

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

I to am truly impressed. How long have you applied your formula to the grass? What zone are you in? Where in NY? As far as growing more Mule palms I think I have you guys covered. We have been doing over 10,000 seedlings a year. I have also been growing Mule palms in a zone 8a San Juan Island WA 5 miles south of Vancouver Canada.

Send me your email address you just got yourself a free 3 gallon Mule palm to test.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! That's awesome Erik!

I'd love to test it out on a Mule! If the formula works we'll be calling the trucks coming up here the "Mule Train." :)

I live in Long Island NY and am on the border between 7a & 7b. This is the third winter that I have had these results on the grass and I have tested different grass areas each time.

My email is JB@KokomoTrading.com

I look forward to hearing from you!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

palm is doing ok looks a bit like a bansai now but oh well it should come out of it. while I was at work last night I was going over all the palms I could grow here in 6B/7 if this works right. we had 2 nights at 8F the rest of the winter was mid 20's for lows..That means ALOT of new palms and with the added root growth ALOT of big palms

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If it works, you should be turning a lot of heads as they pass by your house. If this stuff allows us to jump 2 zones-then you will really blow people's minds. CIDP's can have that kind of effect...especially unprotected during winter :)

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

duplicate message

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 8:33

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had such high freezing winds, some of the fronds (about 2-3 total) actually snapped in half. Still green, even the snapped fronds. The promising part is the snapped fronds have been broken for over a day and 1/2 and the part of the fronds after the snap/break is still green and shows no signs of drying out of yellowing also, these Majesties only had one day in the ground and 12 hours of application of the mix before the weather turned bad. So the it would appear that the mix takes effect fast.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 8:41

• miketropic
    11 years ago

well I have a pic..when I get time to load it that might help a bit. the local kroger decided to put some majestys out front to sell...apparently no one checks the weather or doesn't know a palm when they see one. 2 nights one around 24F the other at 30F..the fronds are fried after the heavy frost hit them. I snapped a pic as I was loading mulch this morning I'll post later. if those of yours are still green but these are tore apart then somthing is working.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just took theses pictures after your post as an up to date comparison to the fried Majesties. Here's what mine look like. After the same-possibly colder and harsher conditions.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up on a wind damaged snapped frond.

See the white little flowers in the grass. I don't know if it grass or some type of weed that is stowing away, but whatever it is, it's flowering when nothing else is even alive yet.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:49

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another damaged snapped frond. Those winds were fierce!

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

While going through this cold spell, all plants are pushing out new healthy spears

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another new spear...over a foot long and deep green. Metabolic rate might just be the key. Next thing I need to do is try and get a temp reading of the surface of the palm compared to the air near it.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more picture. I noticed that in the some of the close up pictures the light reflection makes some of the Fronds look lighter. When I step away it doesn't happen.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:00

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Glad to see that they made it through the cold without much more than some damage from the cold winds! I'm probably going to take my majesty palms out this weekend since next week looks relatively mild and frost free (And I need to start bringing my plants out!).
    -Alex

• miketropic
    11 years ago

the cold got some of these fronds pretty good

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for posting that picture, Mike. Big difference between mine and that poor fella. Looks like you provided the "control" to the experiment. So far, so good, your picture proves that it is working. The better news is that Majesties are rated Z9 and the test is being done in Z7. Which might mean exciting news regarding Z8 rated palms in Z7 and Z7 rated palms in Z6...possibly Z5.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

if I go back by there today I'll see if its all the way gone. last night was only around 40 but it could have been in decline still.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you could, I'd love to see it. Thanks Mike!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I went back and all the burn spots on the leaves have now turned brown and dried up. there not dead yet but close to it. There were alot less there today so I would guess they got rid of the dead ones already.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for checking on them Mike. My Guys are chugging along. I have a feeling that this will be one of those times where we go from Winter to Summer. Spring here is MIA.

• noldorin69
    11 years ago

Hey Kokomo-JB , I just stumbled onto your thread here and am really intrigued . I'd love to know your formula . I live here near Chicago and want palms to grow in my yard but don't have the resources to keep them happy and healthy. I have a Needle Palm in the ground that I planted last summer and covered with burlap over the winter . It appears to be alive but all the fronds are kind of crispy . I really want to save it as well as get some more palms in ground this summer . If you'd be interested in another participant in this project I'd be more than willing . My email is noldorin69@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you .
    Mike

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Mike!

Nice to meet you! Just so I don't waste viewers time, I will email you the mix. Never had a Needle Palm but from what I hear, they are as tough as they come. I'm sure by mid-summer, you wont be able to notice any damage. I truly appreciate you offering your assistance and you can bet that I will call you to be the test bed for the northern mid-west. Just to keep expectations real, I have to jump some major hurdles before I waste other people's time. Like I've said before, in trying to accomplish this goal, you have to find the successes in your failures. So far, so good but things can change real fast...I hope they don't, but you never know. Expect an email from me.

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 19:41

• wxman81
    11 years ago

Kokomo-JB,

I'm just north of Milwaukee, WI in zone 5b. I'd like to test your mix on less hardy things -- like crotons, bananas, etc. I have a test freezer in the basement which I use for testing. If you'd like another willing participant, please email me - tropicaltim@wi.rr.com

Thanks!

Tim

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Tim!

I hope your tests are continuing to show positive results. I would have no problem sending you the formula... there's only one problem The device I use to make part of the formula is expensive and without it, you can't make it. I bought a high-end lab quality machine that costs $2000.00.
    The cheapest one I've ever seen and you can't trust the quality, was $600.00 and it only allows the processing of small amounts at a time-hardly worth the risk of investment. You can sort of buy this part of my formula, already made but the base product is different and would need to be added later. This would change the process and that is not the true way I make it so the results may not be the same. It is that one process that makes my formula totally unique and unlike anything out there. I'm sorry if I sound confusing or cryptic but I'm trying to not give away the ship-and with it, 3 years of work. The good news is that if it really winds up to be a success, on a mass scale of production, it's inexpensive to produce.

I will say that no matter what, any formula will most likely need to work in conjunction with mulch and an anti-desiccant spray (like WiltPruf). Even though my tests on grass say otherwise, I feel that a grass benefits from being closer to the ground and benefiting from ground heat...an educated guess which will be proven true or false in time.

• Kokomo-JB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Duplicate Post

This post was edited by Kokomo-JB on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 9:19

• Tiffany Marshall
    6 years ago

Hey Kokomo-JB,

Did this formula ever come to fruition? I would be interested!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting