Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many Cycads?

Posted by SagoLover 10a CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 17:45

I am in process of searching a few cycads to purchase. I have an opportunity of getting a few more rare ones. Should I choose maybe 2 a bit bigger (caudex 2.75-3.5") or 3-4 smaller (up to 2")? They are not cheap, that's why I have to stay to smaller sizes and not going for the 5-6" caudex. On the other hand, maybe if I choose bigger one or ones, would they be more resistant? I could buy a 4" one only for the price of all of the above, but I also like the other specimens, that's why I was thinking about choosing at least 2 of them, different species.
I know, I am so undecided... I am afraid I will end up buying only a Sago from Home Depot...

This post was edited by SagoLover on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:42

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many Cycads?

I would get the 2 bigger ones personally. There are some nice nurseries in Cali that are expensive but have nice sized cycads so if you save up a bit you can get some nice specimens!
Good luck!
-Alex

o

I agree with Alex. IMO Bigger is better, I would take the 2.

o

Thank you for your advice.
I ended up ordering two: 2.5-almost 3" and one over 3". I couldn't resist. I was thinking about ordering only one bigger, about 6-7" caudex but then where is the satisfaction of growing it since it was a baby right? I want to see them grow and become majestic under my/our care. Not very modest, I know... :D

This post was edited by SagoLover on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 21:31

o

I have always ended up 'chickening' out on buying larger plants and opted for more smaller plants... and always end up regretting it (am a slow learner). Do what I say, not what I do... larger plants grow faster, look cooler and become worth a lot more in a hurry... small plants often croak, and take FOREVER to become larger... ALWAYS buy larger when possible... as large as you can afford.

o

Ah, now you're coming with good explanations for the reasons to buy larger ones?? I've paid for them already! :( Will try to "upgrade" my order tomorrow... I don't know if it's possible though.

Thank you for opening my eyes. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here