14 years ago

{{gwi:1125997}}

unprotected pindo 1

{{gwi:1125998}}

unprotected pindo 2

Comments (13)

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Wow, I cant believe it made it unprotected. If it really is 100% heathy, I think pindo palms should be given a lot more credit than they are. They are much more beautiful than most other cold tolerant palms, but pindo palms, and many other palms, vary with cold tolerance. Those look like they can handle A LOT of cold and are also older which adds to its cold hardiness.

Thanks for sharing those pics. Good luck!

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

That is amazing,they really are tough palms!
    I would put their cold hardiness right between Trachys and Washys- a must have for any cold hardy gardener!

They are probably prettier palms then either of those(2) too!

>

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

That is great follow-up and pics. Pindos are hardy and the precautions taken are worth noting.

That looks like the same Staten Island Pindo Palm they had surrounded by large rocks and tarp covered last winter w/ lights. There must have been some sort of protection or at least a covering and rock base this winter. I say that because the fronds would have been completely damaged in the winter we just had if they were not cover at least. That said, it is remarkable, exciting and worth noting the cold hardiness it has if kept dry.

PS. Jim, notice we are talking about winter in a past tense -feels good.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

there are two large pindo palms on SI

one is the one above which recieved no protection this winter

the other one recieves protection every winter and has not been uncovered yet

• butiaman
    14 years ago

One thing that helped both of them to survive so well is good drainage,the frist one is in a pot,and the secound is in a raised bed.They probley amended the soil,with alot of sand,or good draining soil.The one in the pot has good drainage,being in a pot.Im thinking of putting my new pindos in raised beds also.I've had annuals come back in raised beds.They really do work,the secound picture proves it.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

GREG
    I hope I am talking about the snow they are predicting here Saturday in the past tense on Sunday)-:

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Thanks StatenIsland7a for going thru the effort to show the other Pindo palms. This is amazing that the pindo surrounded by boulders survived with so little damage. That photo is current I assume.

I was commenting the Pindo Palm in a pot. They must have protected that one? In any case, its all good news.

Jim, at least your snow is not followed by biter cold temps and the March sun should melt it fast -your ground is already thawed.

• mastiffhoo
    14 years ago

Almost every palm I have left in a pot does really bad. There is no insulation at all. I really do not think being in a pot helps survival for the palms. Seems like the root system would be frozen solid. I could be wrong however.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Ground temps are in the 50s in grassy areas and around 60
    around the palms/mid 60s in the cactus garden(-:

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1126002}}

{{gwi:1126003}}

photos of pindo now uncovered and surviving spike plants

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

The pindo palm definitely got damaged, but it looks like it made it, and the cordyline australis aka spike plant is lookign really nice. I really like the cordyline australis species because they seem to be some what tolerant of zone 7 winters and are actually very closely related to ti plants which are 100% tropical (usually getting quite a bit of damage below freezing).

Thanks for sharing!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

it didn't get damaged there is a tree in front of it i'll try to get a better pic

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Oh okay, I see what your talking about. From what I can see it looks good, so Im glad to see yet another zone 7 pindo palm make it through. Thanks again for uploading, enjoy the weather!