Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One left to uncover.......

Posted by jimhardy Iowa 5b? (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 18:55

The Washy will get uncovered(finally)next week....

photo 100_6360_zps6ae8bdec.jpg

Heres the rest....

Sequoia is in good shape after winter-some of the native Cedars look worse...

photo 100_6374_zps9508113b.jpg

The "other" Princeps

photo 100_6362_zpsb15d4b13.jpg

C.Cerifera

photo 100_6363_zpsdfbdb7e4.jpg

Small CC

photo 100_6365_zpsd444b79a.jpg

T.Martianus did better outside than it normally would do inside over winter..

photo 100_6367_zps14e85b5f.jpg

S.Louisiana is about waist high now...

photo 100_6369_zpse421d453.jpg

Waggie is poised for great things this year..

photo 100_6370_zps606edd38.jpg

These "Spider" plants made it through winter in the cactus house...
that is Phlox coming up next to it.

photo 100_6364_zpsba1589c2.jpg

Trachycarpus Princeps-love this palm...

photo 100_6372_zps189e39fd.jpg

Graptopetalum paraguayense made it through winter with only a clear cover on it-no heat! 0: amazing plant!

photo 100_6371_zps30a40140.jpg

Cactus garden,the wooden board is 8' long...for scale.

photo 100_6366_zps6e5d9ba4.jpg

B.Eriospatha is settled in(finally)and should have a big year.

photo 100_6359_zps93f7966f.jpg

Little T.ferns were zapped again last fall by cols but grew back some inside the winter cover..

photo 100_6368_zps221c0367.jpg

Looking through some old Castor bean stalks-

photo 100_6373_zpsd1c7af18.jpg

Thanks for looking

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One left to uncover.......

Great pics! The plants are all looking great as always and I'm sure the washy will look nice when you uncover it in a week! Your cactus house must stay nice and mild during the winter considering how well everything does in it!
I like all the silver palms! I think C. Cerifera is underated. I planted my small one outdoors and all it didn't get any individual protection (just whatever leftover frost cloth was hanging from underneath all the other palm's protection. It didnt get any damage! The T. Princeps looks great, that is definitely a beautiful palm! Can't wait to see how things are looking once the weather warms up, in a few weeks a lot of things will be growing again!
-Alex

o

Thanks Alex....

I checked the soil temp and much to my surprise(considering the cold March we had)it was already 53F @ 4",looking forward to seeing the Washy again.
I am a little concerned as we had a lot of moisture over winter and the mulch is quite soaked...that said,next Wednesday is the big day-I already know it is a little burned up as I was stubborn/lazy about covering it last fall-just wasn't sure how I was going to do it!(-:-I am sure some creative trimming will be needed.

o

Very odd Winter here. Since the last two months have been, at times, well below average and exceedingly wet and windy...I've only just uncovered the in ground bananas. 50/50 they come back, but I always bring some inside for insurance. My large, unprotected Windmill looks tired as well. All the rain, snow, and wind has made him a little sick, but the emerging fronds are growing. Just want it to warm up to "normal" temps so I can give it a good feeding...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here