Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Rock Hardy Sterling,VA Trachycarpus Palm March 12, 2012

Posted by boca_joe 6b/7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 19:27

hey guys,

here is an update. The palm is entering its 19 summer, planted in 1994 and has weathered extreme cold during that time with no protection, it has seen temps down to -10f at least once during that time. It's planted on the northeast side of the house and has had no protection since 1996 or so.

It's about 26'high now.

Photos of the palm and other hardy palms and eucs on March 12, 2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: Update on Rock Hardy Sterling,VA Trachycarpus Palm March 12, 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Rock Hardy Sterling,VA Trachycarpus Palm March 12,

Boca:

That was awesome and this year I think it will put on even more trunk and many fronds. It is hard to believe that this palm has endured some of our worst winters unprotected and shows no sign of slowing down.

o

Thanks for posting an update! That trachy still looks beautiful. I think that palm was one of the reasons I started growing palms this far north (after seeing pics of it on the net years ago).
Glad to see that it's still looking great!
-Alex

o

There are many reasons to be skeptical of the claims that this palm has survived temperatures as low as -10 degrees. The palm is growing in a very sheltered location and the claim is a completely unsubstantiated assumption based on an overnight low temperature at Dulles Airport, several miles away in a known cold pocket. (On the same night, the low at National Airport was 5 degrees.) Not even the person who planted and grew it during this period (a friend of mine) claims or believes it ever experienced temperatures that low and has been dismayed to see people who weren't even there making this claim over and over. It's an impressive palm for sure, and probably our area's oldest and tallest windmill palm, but it's unlikely that this palm has ever experienced anything colder than zero degrees (if that).

Here is a link that might be useful: More info in a previous discussion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here