Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

Must be Spring, Cold Hardys are here!

chadec7a
12 years ago

Just picked up some sedum and sempervivum hens and chicks at Lowes, before heading down to Plant Delights nursery last weekend for some cold hardy agaves. And tonight at Home Depot ( I had to pass through the garden section) they had a cart full of cold hardy palms. Windmills, chammys, and Pindos.

Heres some of what I bought the week before.

It may be early, but this warm winter sure has everyone hoping for the best!

Chad,

Comments (19)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, those are great finds and I cant believe that they have cold hardy palms in stock already!
    Great buys too. Those hen and chicks are huge and I really like the cacti, agaves, and all the other cool accent succulents you got! I asked one of the nursuries not too far fom here about their plants and they are getting camellias in stock next week so I cant wait to pick them up and plant them in the yard! I've already seen tropical bulbs for sale and the winter annuals such as Pansies for sale again.

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice haul Chad...

After a weekend of winter the 60s coming up next week
    should send some to the emrgency room with a bad case
    of spring fever!

Click for weather forecast

• cfa_li
    12 years ago

I haven't seen any cold hardy palms for sale here at Lowes/Home Depot before, only Majesty palms and the occasional unidentified Phoenix/Butia lumped in with 2-3 other plants in a pot. I'll be on the lookout again this year lol.

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

It's a shame that they don't sell those here in the Bronx EVER

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I'm surprised that they dont have them in Brooklyn and Queens because I have seen them at the Lowes in Staten Island in the past. I have not seen them anywhere else though in the tri state area. I did see other interesting finds at the HD in Suffolk County Long Island though. Thats where I got my Livistona decipiens (ribbon palm) and I saw some cheap spindles and huge chamaedoreas.

-Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Last spring was the first time I saw hardy palms sold at.the big box stores here at the Delaware Beaches. Previous summers only windmills were available at local garden centers at premium prices. Home Depot had the biggest selection of pindos, windmills and med fans initially. Then Walmart had needles and minors. Lowes got in the act later in the season and they had a little bit of everything. All were great prices and I bought a lot. Most were sold out by seasons end promising for a palmier beach.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was hoping for something different this year from Home Depot. I was out out yesterday and our other HD has the same palms. Lowes usually comes in late April for Mothers day. They usually have a good variety. Even Walmart had a better selection than HD last year.

• shawn_nyc
    12 years ago

This is photo of Sabal M. I purchased last year and forgot to plant, It stayed outside the the whole winter just like you see it. I got this plant from Lowes in BROOKLYN, N.Y. The Super palm behind it is a "Waggie" & the yucca's next to it was all uncovered this winter.

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Shawn,

When did you get that palm, specifically last year? Was it around this time of the year or a little later. I would love to get some sabals!

• jaynboro
    12 years ago

Still waiting for all the goodies to arrive in these parts. :)

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shawn, that's a nice trachy. I love minors, have 6 of those blue dwarf palmettos from Lowes. Never protected any of them. This is my second winter with Birmingham, Brazoria and Louisiana. So far so good!

Jay you all getting snowed on? They are calling for 4" in our mountains and 1" here at my place.

• shawn_nyc
    12 years ago

Hardypalmfreak, It was late August last year. Also I picked up one the year before that At lowes or Home Depot (Not sure). That one I got because someone on this forum wrote about buying one. I dropped the comuputer and ran over there and got one LOL!

Chadec, thanks I love that Wiggie too. It's starting to beat out my older Trachycarpus fortunei in height. And it looks way better than my Trachy, and the wiggie wasn't even protected this winter.

• shawn_nyc
    12 years ago

I called my Waggie a wiggie, sorry I still have late winter fever LOL!

• chadec
    12 years ago

Went by lowes yesterday for some wiring stuff. But of course I had to go through the garden section. Couldn't help but notice that the hardy palms had arrived. This section has doubled in size. Unfortunately, the selection sucks! No sylvester palms, silver med. palm and the sabal minors with coastal palmate fronds. Oh well, can anyone say road trip. Guess I'll just stick with Gary's or chilly palm tree. Im tire of returning blue pots.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've done well with the blue pot palms. They've been great for filling in holes in my garden at bargain prices. And as you said, you can always return the dude. I'm still planning a road trip to Garys for some more specific purchases like Sabal Birmingham and Palmetto.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

The selection from my Lowes wasnt that great last year either. I havent been there lately, but hopefully it's better this year! I did go to Home Depot and there were no cold hardy palms (the HD's here dont really carry the blue pots), but they did have a ton of annuals which were nice to see!
    -Alex

• chadec
    12 years ago

I picked up a pindo a few weeks back and as soon as it went into the ground it was doomed. finally Friday the bottom fronds fell off. It got returned to HD today. Its not that I want try again. Its just that Im disappointed right now!

• butiaman
    12 years ago

The HD and Lowes here have gone crazy with there prices.They only have S.minors,Green Mediterranean fans,and B.capitatas.They do have one more type W.robustas,the worst looking ones I've ever seen.

Chad,
    The T.fortuneis they have here are no where near the size of the ones in your picture.They have 1gal.size palms in 3gal.size pots for $20.

There doing that with all there cold hardy palms here.There all a lot smaller than what size pot they have them in.Then there priced twice what they was last year.I cant believe what there doing.Most of them has some type of disease on them also.You would think there selection would get better and there sizes would be at least what there supposed to be.

If HD and Lowes keep doing this it will drive people away from buying palm trees.It's sad to because there is no other places that sell cold hardy palms around here anymore.They need to get there palms from some other vendor than the one there using.

I just thought I would post about this so people wouldn't think it's just in the north.I'm going back to the Internet myself to buy my palms from.

If anybody knows of a good nursery around Atlanta,GA.that sells a good selection of palms at reasonable prices,please let me know.
    Randy

• chadec
    12 years ago

I can believe they have diseases. But as for the sizes ours are huge. 14 gallon pindos trunks are larger than basket balls. Up to 18" tall. Seen a Chammy in bloom! Could not believe it. Some of the needles have a ft. of trunk.

And this year Lowes has lower their prices. 7 gallons are 54$ and 14 gallons are 76$.