Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Which is the best location?

us_marine
10 years ago

I've been debating on whether or not I should keep the coco in a container for as long as possible or just plant it outside. Regardless, it will eventually be too big to go in and out. The containers tend to last 2 years max...

The problem comes down to location. Which do you guys think will be the best?

Location 1.

South facing wall near the king palm, bananas, avocado etc. The pros: Will receive winter sun, mostly afternoon sun. When enclosed during winter it will have the wall to help radiate heat and block wind. During summer it will receive partial shade. Cons: Too close to house and other plants to properly enclose. As well as close enough that when I dig a big enough hole I may end up damaging other plants roots.

location 2. A way from walls but somewhat close to a south facing fence. Pros: Has more than enough room to properly enclose. Has space to grow wide and tall. Cons: Not really in the best spot. Won't have too much wind block. Not really any extra heat at night. But most importantly it might be shaded a lot in winter. Its also near the coldest spot in my yard (area does not get much sun). However, if it was to get big enough it would receive sun all day in winter. The soil may be on the cool side in winter.

Either way when i go to plant it in the ground it will be in well draining soil- palm mix and probably left over beach sand. i do not plan on watering much in winter or using the heater much except during the nights. But even then I hope I only need to use it on a few nights, like the few frosty nights. During the day it should be warmed up by the sun even on cloudy days. On cloudy days I'm pretty sure it would hit the mid to high 60f's. On sunny days it easily gets above mid 70f's. I'm kinda experimenting on how far I can zone push with the least amount of effort. lol. But I'll probably end up using a heater a lot more often then mentioned.

- US_Marine

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County