Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

Early spring update

us_marine
10 years ago

Finally the west has been getting rain the last couple of days. Heres some pics admist the rain lol.

Since the arctic blast temps have been fairly mild. The lows were running below average but the highs were well above. We may have even hit 80f once this year. When this storm passes we are supposed to go back into the mid/high 70f's.
Many of the trees have been flowering and budding out. Good thing the danger from frost is over now and with the rain we been getting and then a warm up things should take off even more.

Plum-

Pomegranate

{{gwi:1126529}}

Peach-

Rose bushes flowering-

Orange tree- First year I ever saw citrus (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, kumquat etc...) take so much damage in my area. The larger the tree the less damage.

Won't be long until it flowers.

Avocado- Not sure what variety, I always thought it was a mexicola but now I'm not sure. Its not a hass though. It should recover nicely by next winter. This winter left it basically a twig!

CA natives are loving the rain- Poppies

Aloes- Recovering from frost burn and this other one is flowering.

Hens and chicks-

Dwarf banana's-

Banana's- These guys have been so slow at growing but they are finally picking up speed.

King palm- Made it through arctic blast with a little help. Aside from the spear you can see unfolding it already has a new spear. Can't wait to see how much it grows by summers end. It should finally be used to its spot.

Coconut palm- Seems to be doing ok, the spear in the center is still growing too. Not sure what is causing this weird coloration though. I don't see any spider mites but i do need to mist again. It almost looks like the same coloration my last one had before it just randomly died. The only difference is that one had more brown spots in the yellow area and the spear on it was not opening like this one is.

My best guess, probably just some sun burn. It is the newest frond that openend up in winter while inside.

Comments (4)

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looking good. This winter seems like it was shorter and colder than usual. We didn't see any frost until that one week that we got the arctic air coming through and haven't seen any frost after that one week event. Everything here in Fresno looks great. I do have one Shaving Brush palm that took a bit of tip damage, but everything else is doing well. I have three young Chambeyronia macrocarpa and two young Dypsis decipiens that didn't miss a heartbeat.

At our other place in Chowchilla we lost a young Kentia Palm (about 5 year old) and the old queens had plenty of damaged fronds as well. We had almost full defoliation on our old meyer lemon tree and white sapote tree, but minimal damage to navel oranges, tangerine trees and blood oranges. It definitely got much colder there.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Great pics! Looks like spring is on the way. Glad to see the west getting much needed rain! Your cocos look much better than mine this winter. Mine are suffering from spider mites indoors so I've been applying neem oil weekly to them to keep them from going down hill! I think summer is the only thing that will actually make them happy though!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• Central_Cali369
    10 years ago

I went out yesterday and snapped a few pictures to share here.

Here's Phoenix rupicola. This is by far my favorite of the phoenix species. It's very user friendly and it lacks those nasty spines found in other phoenix palms.

Here's a Nikau palm (Rhopalostylis sapida)showing a little bit of damage to leaf tips. I'm surprised to how well it took the cold snap we had

Here's a Jubaea chilensis seedling that laughs at the cold and drought we get. I planted this as a 1 strap leaf seedling in March 2008 right after the cold snap in 2007. It's grown slowly, but steadily to this point, but it seems to picking up a bit of speed. I don't water it at all. It survives on our rainfall alone which is similar to the conditions it grows in naturally in Chile.

Finally, here are two Manambe palms Dypsis decipiens. The first one was more exposed during the cold snap, and the other one is still in its container. They're both pushing out a new spear though and it looks like they just shrugged off the cold snap we had. These palms saw close to 19F for several hours.

• chadec
    10 years ago

Looking good, nice to see signs of spring. I have to say I think all of the east coast is probably jealous of you right know. At least someone is having a spring. Looks like ours is gonna be about 2 months late.