Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prinbama

Good bye shelter, Hello Early Spring

prinbama
11 years ago

Here in North alabama, the weather has been pretty good and so i took it upon myself to free up my Protected Palms. By the looks of it my pindo palm did really good with Hardly no damage to it. Cant find any kind of winter damage to it. Now my Washy on the other hand got a pretty good hit from winter. Here's a look.

Here's the Pindo

May the growing season begin. Cant wait to see how much growth i get this year.

Comments (12)

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Great pics! I dont see any bad damage, the washy looks great to me and whatever winter damage it did get it should definitely grow out of fast since it looks really healthy!
    I didnt protect my pindo enough this winter and I think I may have lost it. It was really beautiful, now it only has 1 green frond and a green central spear. If anything it has a long road of recovery! My livistona got the same protection and it had a lot less damage and will make a full recovery by early summer.
    Thanks for sharing! Looks like spring has definitely hit the south even though you did have to go through that late cold snap this week!
    -Alex

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex, I was really worried about My Pindo because i put it in the ground Late Fall. All i used really for protection was a clear tarp and no heat. when i uncovered it today i was amazed how well it took the winter. I think i have a true winner here lol. The washy on the other hand got some of its fronds browned but i aint to worried seeing it recovers really quick. It has 2 new fronds growing out of it.

I sure hope your Pindo makes it. Pindo's a truely beautiful palms and hate seeing one die. Hope all works out well for you

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I'm thinking of doing the Epson salt formula for my palms but not exactly sure how much to mix. Does anyone know how much to mix up ?

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Prinbama-
    Looks great, i hope the weather allows you to keep them uncovered. What have the temps there been?

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The highs for the next 10 days will be in the high 60's and lows in the mid to low 40's. This weekend will be in the 70's. Our winters are really not that bad.it never got down below 20f. The lowest I saw was 25f.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Looks great-it is a nice feeling to have them back right!

My Washy looked the same after its first winter,it was to cold
    next to the outer edges of the plastic-they do bounce back fast though!
    Not sure when I will uncover mine-it needs to get a lot warmer for it here!

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you jim. Im very happy to have them back. I hated seeing them in there shelter even though it was best for them. My filifera seedlings didn't make it during the winter. One night it got down to 27f and forgot to bring them in and they just died the next couple days after bringing them inside. No worries though because I have a bunch more germinating.

Iowa gets pretty cold but what you have done to protect your babies are truely amazing. I'm sure you'll be happy once you uncover everything.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Your pindo looks awesome! Very nice tree. The washy has plenty of green to help it recover quickly. Did the washy receive artificial heat at all? If not, it looks great for a zone 7b/8a.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you islandbreeze. No heat for the washy or pindo.

I think there's something wrong with our zone. What I mean is, I lived here in north Alabama for about 12 years and I have not seen temps drop down to under 15f. It's crazy but I'm not going to argue with the folks that are in charge with the hardiness zones. I'm sure there's a reason for us being in zone 7A-8A.

This post was edited by prinbama on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 12:00

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice looking palms, the pindo did very well this winter. That washy is gonna grow like crazy in your zone. It will be like new in no time.

• prinbama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Chadec. I was cutting off the brown out of my washy and there's 1 new frond openning up very healthy and two new spears growing out of it. I can't wait to see how much growth it will get this year.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Thanks Bama!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH