Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mule Palm Resurrected From The Dead!

Posted by joey_powell 8b (15.1F) USDA 2012 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:37

You might not believe this...but I promise this is a true story. Remember about three years ago when I posted on here about my medium sized mule palm that unexpectedly had a spear pull in May of 2010?

The last couple of Springs I have thought about taking it up and replacing it with something, but the whole time it has maintained at least some green on its existing leaves.

Now today, almost THREE YEARS later, guess what I found!!!???:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mule Palm Resurrected From The Dead!

Here's a wider shot of the palm. You can see what condition it is in after almost three years of no new growth.

o

That's pretty amazing. Your patience may have paid off... I hope your palm is on a path of recovery. Mule Palms are gorgeous.

o

Hi. That's amazing!!! Mule palms are excellent. Worth saving it. Maybe you might want to fertilize it once the soil has warmed up.

o

That's so cool! I'm glad it survived for you. Palms are always full of surprises. I would never get rid of a palm that's green because if they stay green for that long then they must have some sort of life in it. I hope your mule palm takes off this year although I must admit considering it hasn't grown in almost 3 years, it looks really great!
Keep us updated!
-Alex

o

I am not aware of the story. What were your temps when you thought you lost it?

o

That is incredible, I've never heard of that before.

o

That's awesome news. Mule palms that size are expensive, so nice that it can be saved. I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for it. I have a trachy with over 2 feet of trunk in the same boat, hasn't grown for the last 3 years at all. If I don't see growth this spring, I'm ripping it out and replacing it.

o

Thats interesting. Never seen that before. But keep an eye on the new spears. If they dont start to regain size by the end of summer thats not a good sign. It should be fine though.

- US_Marine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here