Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
statenislandpalm7a

Palm Survival Report Winter 09-10 7a Staten Island

statenislandpalm7a
14 years ago

Everything did well and our lowest temp was 14 making this a very cold 8b winter

{{gwi:79277}}

pindo's june 09

pindos march 10

i think the damage was caused more by the lights which reached 100 degrees than the cold which only got to 14.9 on one day the lights were off

t. takil june 09

t. takil march 10

needle june 09

needle fall 09

winter

march 10

looks bad it got beat up by wind and snow weight

unprotected pindo seedling

can anyone id why it is yellow (was like that in summer)

bamboo

local unprotected windmill sprayed with wiltproof in the ground since 2002

y. rostrota in snow

unprotected windmill not sprayed with anything first year in the ground

small monkey puzzle

big pindo still wrapped but gives you a good idea of how big it actually is

spike plants covered by 5 gallon water jugs

big monkey puzzle

yucca glorisa/ recurfolia very big the fence is about 4.5 feet

tree cholla unprotected and small windill wrapped up

MORE pictures to come

Comments (20)

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Great pics Dennis thanks for posting them.
    That area almost looks like a Florida neighborhood with all the "tropicals."

I'll be in touch (-:

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Very nice pics! It looks like everything did well. I think your pindo seedling is yellow possibly from magnesium deficiency, which epsom salts should help out. I like the pics around your neighborhood. Im surprised you found 2 monkey puzzle trees. I think they are so cool, and really give a great tropical look and seem perfectly hardy in a zone 7, and those windmill palms look great too and i was surprised to see them do so well without protection too, but they look like they are in great spots, gotta love microclimates (or at least the warm ones).

Good luck and thanks for the update!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I' gave all my palms Epson salt last year but I'll give the seedling more

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More pics

dead christmas palms
    It's sad tht they could have brought them inside and npt treated them as annuals

3 new leaves

new plantings

protected trachy

fake lawn

big magnolia

big yucca

can someone id this

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Nice pics. Was the sago palm in the ground all winter long? I would guess that it had protection, but it still is interesting to see them in a zone 7. I also love the magnolia, they are pretty common here, but I never get tired of seeing them. And its sad to see the x mas palms dead, I am thinking of getting one this year since they never get really tall and are very nice and cheap palms.

Good luck!

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No i just planted the sagos. The restaurant were they were at could have dragged them indoors 10 feet away and saved them but they decided not too. I'v seen even bigger magnolias around here.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I hope the sagos make it for you and I really think they can with no problem. I might try some this year as well if I find a really cheap one (I already have one, but it is pretty large and was 30 dollars, so it wasnt cheap enough).

Its a shame to see that they didnt bring in the x mas palms, I would have happily taken care of them :)

Ive seen big magnolias and small magnolias by me, they are pretty common and very tropical looking and much nicer than the decidious ones (especially because they dont make much of a mess). Southern magnolias are for sale by me often around spring time (about a month or 2 from now). I have always wanted one, but I dont really have a place where they will look nice right now, but if I did, they would be in my yard. I also like crape myrtles which are becoming popular here too, but not too many really huge ones like the magnolias.

Good luck!

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Thanks for all those great shots! You have a good eye for tropical looks.

Your pindos did well and had some lite burn - not too bad. Are you concerned that as they grow large they will crowd you entrance stairs?

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The pindos are in full sun so they probably won't get to wide

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

They look well and shall get wide my friend.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could always prune them

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

You can even dig them up (making sure not to damage the roots) and move them if they become a real problem, but you might need a crane if you wait until they get large. But I think you still have about 2 full years before it starts to really block the path, and according to how much of a problem it becomes, you can either prune them, or move them.
    Good luck!

• butiaman
    14 years ago

Dont believe the saying they wont get big in full sun.Mine is in full sun and its probley 7ft tall with a spread of 8 to 10 ft.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

You will have a nice arch to walk through!

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

The last pic is one of the groundcover Euonymus.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

I looked up an Euonymus and I definitely think thats what that ground cover is. It turns out that I have one also, and they are pretty common as shrubs here. It is cold tolerant to a zone 6b, but is perfectly hardy in a zone 7, and I think warmer zone 6's should have no problem growing them.

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

StatenIsland,

I agree with TZ7, you probably are best transplanting them soon because they are too close to the walkway; one has cement on both sides and will cause damage as they do get large and yours look well.

Sorry to tell you, but its best to be honest.

• statenislandpalm7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They may not make it to be big and I'll probably be dead, (or the palms) before they are big enough to block the walkway and crack the concrete. For the next couple years I'll just prune them

• Robert Howard
    11 years ago

Hello everyone. I live in city island, the Bronx. Just planted a 5 ft windmill palm, in my front yard. Did some research before buying, still lots to learn. Trying to figure out how to post pictures of it on here! Would love some advice from experienced NYC growers.