Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncpalmzone7

cold hardies already out at my local walmart(1 pic)

ncpalmzone7
13 years ago

pindos,windmills,needles,(pony tail not palm i dont think)

Comments (26)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Spring is on its way and the nurseries are showing it! I got a 7 foot tall majesty palm and a 6 foot tall Birds of Paradise today and some fern roots and elephant ear bulbs. The ferns are going in the ground tomorrow since a hard freeze no longer looks likely. Im planting the elephant ears indoors tomorrow and same for the palms and BOP.
    Im very excited to take all my plants outside for the summer!
    -Alex

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Nice palms I bought an elephant ear bulb and some succulents yesterday.

• ncpalmzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i bought some iceplants last year as annuals.Information on the tag said zone 10 or higher,now it's growing rapidly on my curb,very shocking

• ncpalmzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lets go heels!!beat duke

• californiamike
    13 years ago

Costco had the green and black elephant ear bulbs and had 4 to 6 foot birds of paradise in staten island , NY. I snatched them up right away.

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I bought bought green and black elephant ears at costco too. I didn't see the birds of paradise but i saw giant majesty palms.

• californiamike
    13 years ago

HI Staten, Yes, they were right with the Majesty palms, which by the way are all gone today...the black elephant ear bulbs are rare and when you find them, get them.

It looks to be an early spring, i will uncover one of my palms this weekend and the larger one next weekend, for good, for the summer

Mike

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I already uncovered all my plants but if it rains or gets cold i will cover them back up.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I only saw green ee's, but the many of the nurseries out in Long Island always have a nice variety of Elephant ears during the summer so I'll have to get them there later on in the Spring. I dont think my Colocasia fontanesii survived this winter in its pot in the garage so I'll have to look for another dark colored elephant ear if it decides not to come back.
    -Alex

• californiamike
    13 years ago

HI Staten

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

That is a great deal on pindos,windmills,needles NCpalm. How are your plams doing? Any photos? I thought you had some large sabals planted in your backyard.

Those prices could hurt the cold palm folks over the internet. They charge anywhere from $50-$300 for a pindo that size.

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

Greg they are 3 gallon palms.
    I bought a blue meditteranean fan palm a needle palm and a sabal fan palm when a walmart in pa was selling them for 17 dollars.

I dont know a waltmart in a zone 5-6 was selling palms though.

• californiamike
    13 years ago

The Walmart in Woodbridge was selling various palms last year for 17 bucks...not sure about this year, too early to tell

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I hate the woodbridge walmart its really small and lacks selection. I go to pa in the summer nd they have supercenters

• ncpalmzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@brooklyn greg,the sabals are fine,just lost all my fronds to the ice and snow over the winter but the spear is still green.next year im going to invest in a taller ladder so i can give it some protection,it was 16 feet from top to bottom and extremely hard to get up there even with help.Any how im extremely lucky not to lose those babies over the winter.For work sometimes on the way to Raleigh ill pass by a sabal farm(florida transplant) and ill see sabal graveyard for the ones that didnt make it

• chadec7a
    13 years ago

I just pick up some 3 gallon windmills for 20$ each at Home Depot. Each had more than a foot of trunk. Largest 3 gallons I have ever seen.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Good idea NCpalm. Probably wraping the buds and covering them with a plastic that can breathe from the underside like they do in some parts of VB will help. What was your low temp this winter and how long did it last in that range?

I hear you Chadec7a, I am heading to PA this weekend and there's a huge walmart there. Cold palms are catching on!

• cfa_li
    13 years ago

I need to do some snooping around, within 5 miles of me there's THREE Home Depots, a Lowes (brand new), a Walmart, a BJ's, and a Costco.

This Winter I went into a Home Depot and they were selling what looked like a Butia or a Phoenix (I think the latter) lumped with 3 other plants as well as Cycads & Cactuses. Last Spring the Costco was selling Majesty Palms.

I just want a tiny cactus for now, the little $7-8 ones.

• HardyPalmFreak
    13 years ago

I checked most of the walmarts and nurseries in the NYC metro area and still no cold hardy palms up for sale yet. I saw one at the Metropolitan Plant Exchange by the George Washington Bridge, but it was loaded with ants and aphids :-( I guess the main chains around here haven't received their shipments yet. I hope the area gets them soon. I want a larger windmill palm and a larger sabal minor soon........I'm what you call an addict.

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

I live on staten island in the nyc metro area and last year i remember lowes on forest ave, sweetbrook nursery (near lowes),Conrad Schweizer Nurseries, Wiesner Brothers Nursery, Green Side Up and other nurseries i cant remember all had cold hardy palms last year so you can check there.

• HardyPalmFreak
    13 years ago

Thank you I will check. Around what time of the year was it?

• statenislandpalm7a
    13 years ago

It was in summer

• chadec7a
    13 years ago

Hate you guys have to wait, we have a nusery here in Winston Salem with some windmills that have 3ft and 4ft trunks for 100$.

• ncpalmzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that wal-mart is in Greensboro,NC down the st from my house
    i like to go to Myrtle Beach cause its alot cheaper down there

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

The walmarts Ive gone to(both in OH and VA) only have majesty and chinese fan palms. Whats up with that,lol.

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Hunter- Wal Mart recieves a small quantity of cold hardy palms in and they usually arrive early spring. So start looking end of march or 1st of april for Kentucky.