Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec

End of winter update( with pics)

chadec
12 years ago

After a great winter, I think everyone is experiencing an early spring. All outdoor plants came through the winter in good shape. A few problems with indoor plants but.....

Hard to believe this was a few weeks ago!

And now my musa basjoo, musa veluntina and tropicanas are putting out shoots.

These agaves came through completely unprotected

A. parryi truncata

Agave ovitafolia with sabal minors

A. ovitifolia was covered with this silver med. and sabal palm in the background.

My sabal birmingham was covered 2 times.

This windmill was not protected.

More windmills

Needles, sabal minor, sabal birmingham, and pindo

This rock garden is new with my cylindropuntia impricata and anather birmingham in the rear.

{{gwi:535355}}

My brazoria had a little damage

Early blooms on everything!

Relocated my A. protoamericana and needle palm in the rear had no damage!

Everything is outside and enjoying the weather!

Hope everyone had as mild a winter as I did.

Thanks for looking,

Chad

Comments (15)

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Everything looks nice chad. Good work.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pic! Love the agaves, cacti, and other succulents. They are all getting really big! What species of Optunia is that? Its really nice and upright! Glad that your bananas survived for you! I know my Cannas survived, I doubt my Basjoos did, and my Velutina might be coming back, we'll have to see! Your yard is getting really tropical! Looking forward to seeing how things look when the tender tropicals and flowering annuals are all filling in!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice collection of plants,I love all the cactus!

Click for weather forecast

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad everything came through ok. Even though for some reason my large sabal ended up with mealy bugs last fall.

Alex I would guess the opuntia are humifusa. Since they were dug up out in the woods. there is a small clump lower left of A. protoamericana that is spineless. It didn't come with any id from the seller. My clump that turns purple in winter started roting and had to be dug until it develops better root system.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

BTW chad I am assuming the palm in the first pic covered in snow is a sabal. If so what kind is it?

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earthworm the first palm is a trachy , I have photos of my minors covered in snow also. But my sabal palmettos stayed covered that night.

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Been spending everyday trying to get everything out of pots and into the ground. Finally found a location for my large pindo. Its not my first choice, but due to a power cable and septic tank. This location will have to do.

And I can't wait till this weeping cherry is a little larger. It's a beauty in bloom.

This is one of my new agaves. Not sure I want to plant it, someone could really get hurt.
    {{gwi:500188}}

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Very nice Butia! Your yard is really coming together fast! Looks like early summer not early spring!
    -Alex

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex, it's been like summer here. 80's almost every day last week. A little cooler this week though. Everything is taking off. If I could just get my agave havardianas to grow like like Jim's.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Do you have a pic of your Havardiana???

I was trying to get some pics of mine the other day.....
    to show how massive this thing is but it didn't work out.

I will try again today...the Agaves are amazing in how fast
    they grow-some are already putting out there 4-5 leaves this year!

I just read they can get 3-4' in diameter...awesome!

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim I'll try and get a good photo today. But you can see it to the left of the ovitafolia. In the same pic as my large pindo. It's been in the ground three years.

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alright Jim, heres my two havard agaves. They have been in the ground for 3 years. Talk about slow!

{{gwi:1127025}}
    For a fast paced agave my ovitafolia has been in the ground for 1 year and has tripled in size.

Any ideas to help speed these havard agaves up?

• arctictropical
    12 years ago

Nice.... Everything looks great! I wish we had your warm weather! We expect more snow on Saturday night/Sunday.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I think they are getting to the size where they should pick up speed.

Maybe try some darker stone to up the temps around them.

One of mine(Blue Parryi)has already put out like 5 leaves.

• chadec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arctictropical - thanks, this year has been extremely warm for us. Only twice under 20F. I can live with that.

Jim I will try some black rocks around them and see how that does.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert