Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

Update on trachy recovery

earthworm73
12 years ago

So I just trunk cut my ailing trachy. I cut all of the fronds off (most were pretty much at least 50% brown anyways). I cut the trunk to about where it started to get fat. I was suprised to see that there was not more rot. There was some "brownage" at the growthpoint put not bad at all. I found no mush. I could clearly see where the main stems (looked like two in one hole) were. They were kinda fibery and I was expecting something different. I gently picked at the fiborus material (which was kinda a pale brown/beige) and I did see what looked like white material which I guess was the growthpoint/main stems. I stopped there. I did not apply any peroxide because I did not see any blackness for decay and it was already damp outside so I didn't want to make it more wet. We are forecasted to get rain tonight so I covered it with a dry bucket. Any thoughts on this?

Comments (13)

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Well you chopped its head off! Continue to keep it dry and lets hope it recovers. Maybe you should post a pic of the cut for Jim to see!

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chad I was planning on taking a pic maybe on Sunday when were are suppose to have a dry day.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Great,sounds like you are an expert now(-:,once you have operated once you are the doctor(-:

I didn't think you would see much rot since this was from a burn.
    it should recover quickly if you get some warm weather.

Keep a close eye on it.

Click for weather forecast

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim I am far from an expert. You, my friend are the master. You are the "blind monk" and I am but only a mere grasshopper. If the weather hold up when I get off of work today I will take a pic. If this thing can hold on for another 8 or 9 days looks like freezing nights might behind us and accu weather forcasts some days in the 60's. *Crosses fingers*

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay for Jim here is a pic as of a few minutes ago of the results. Does this look about right?

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I've never had to palm surgery, but something doesn't look right. Jim's palm surgery pics always revealed a center that resembles celery hearts. I'm not getting a good vibe, buddy. I'll wait for the rest of the jury.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I agree.

Go another inch down.

I am looking for the pic of mine,hold on a second....(-;

Here

it is.........

You can't go nuch further anyway.

I am a little surprized overheating caused this kind of damage...
    but once rot gets started it can progress quickly,esp in warm weather.

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok Jim I'll do that in the next day or two. BTW do you think what's sticking out is still rot?

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Yes.

Maybe close to the end of it but not much more you can cut.

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Off the top of my head I think I have another 5-8 inches of trunk left to work with. The angle of the pic is decieving.

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is what I did today. I definitely got it now! Chopped off about another inch and voila nothing but creamy white growth point! The problem though is I got the angle backwards so I hope that doesn't affect the amount of sunlight the sawed off point gets. Here is the latest pic.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

I think that looks better. Or certainly more similar to Dr. Jim's patients. Time will tell. Good luck.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

If you have something to put over it to increase temps that will help.
    I use my little umbrella(whats left of them)greenhouses
    through the winter/early season,first for keeping rain out
    of the damaged palms and then for pop starting the Bananas
    (don't have any coming back from the ground this year)T.ferns etc.

Trying to pop start the T.ferns now(-:

If you do put something over it to warm it up,watch the moisture
    carefully,if it rots from here,it's done.

In warm temps that center will pop up in a day or two at most(-:

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia