Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For you people crazy about COCOS

Posted by orchiddude %2B7b ALabama (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 21:20

I found this link, anyone growing the cold hardy type?

http://www.seabreezenurseries.com/ColdHardyCoconutPalms.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For you people crazy about COCOS

Beccariophoenix alfredii is not a coconut, just a palm that looks like a coconut. Calling it a "cold hardy coconut" is just a marketing ploy to get people to buy it. lol

Beccariophoenix is still not hardy enough for me. I had one outside that got slaughtered by 24f, luckily i kept one inside, hopefully they get some more hardiness with age.

o

I guess they call it that cause it looks similiar to the coco tree. It was new to me. If its a fast grower that would be nice.

o

Its more cool hardy than coconut palms so it gives people in coastal California the chance to have a coconut looking palm (or at least a ultra-tropical looking palm). Actual cold tolerance is only into the upper 20s at best, maybe mid 20s when older. They are beautiful palms though and I'd consider getting one if I was in the tropics.

From what I hear they are pretty slow growing especially when compared to coconut palms which are definitely one of the faster growing pinnate frond palms!
-Alex

o

Coconuts are much faster growing and they handle being indoors better inmo.
For Alabama i would get a mule palm for the coconut look alike. But you probably know that. lol

o

Any feather leaf type palm is welcome in Alabama. If they like being in a pot, its even better.

o

My husband and I nickednamed it, the fauxconut, or Ooh, the Foh-coh. lol. Ours is still small enough to keep in a pot on the front porch, sweet little baby palm. I think it was a poster named Zeeth who got us interested by his/her enthusiasm for it. We purchased it online from MB palms. We met them in person at the FIT botanical fest and they are sure good folks, purchased another palm at their booth...just super nice people there.

Seabreeze are good folk, too. I don't know how to say enough good things about them. Justen and Derek, if you are reading this....you're both wonderful and so are all the palms we've purchased from you....fat, healthy, and beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here