Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Potted Washingtonias never seem to grow

islandbreeze
12 years ago

Anybody ever had potted washingtonias that actually grew fast or at least moderate? I believe mine are Filiferas, and even then, they should be growing faster than they have been. Last summer they grew about 3 new fronds, so I repotted them in late June to larger pots, and still nothing. With several days in the 80s and almost 2 weeks of at least 70s, they barely budged. Do they need to go in the ground to see some decent growth?

Comments (12)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Mine didn't do much last summer but grew 3 leaves each over winter.

They really need to be over potted and I think I under watered
    mine last summer too-the roots of these may be sensitive to the pots heating up too.

Maybe better to sink them in their pots if you don't want to plant out......

Click for weather forecast

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim. I'm starting to think that the best solution at this point might be to plant them in the ground, and then dig them up in the fall. That would take care of a watering issue, as well as neutralizing extremes in temps in the rootball, keeping things more consistent. I'm nervous they're not going to make it through another winter in the garage if they don't start to grow some. They lost about 2-3 fronds a piece this past winter in the garage, which only leaves them with 2.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

I'm not sure that planting in ground is always the right solution. It probably depends on how large the palm is when it goes into the ground. For example, I planted a small washy last spring and it needed most of the summer to get the roots established. So I saw maybe 2 or 3 small strap leaves. I overwintered it with only leaves piled against it and an upside down planter. It survived but I'm not sure how fast it can rebound at such a young age.

Based on this 1 week comparison, it appears to be growing. One thing though is I'm not sure of my soil quality at this location. I had a sabal birmingham in this location that eventually died. I plan on getting soil testing down this year.

Washy on 3/17...
    {{gwi:1123402}}

Washy on 3/26...

• californiamike
    12 years ago

I have to say, that does not look too good

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree that it doesn't look too good, and I'd probably fear rot if anything. But on the other hand, congratulations on getting it to survive virtually unprotected in Maryland.

Mine are definitely more mature plants, with fully fanned leaves. They haven't had strap leaves for at least a year, and have plenty of boots on the trunks. They're only about a foot and a half tall though, kind of bonzai. I'll see if I can get a pic posted tomorrow.

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Some larger Washys have survived this winter in Ocean City, Maryland and Fenwick Island, Delaware. Only about 25% winter burned from a few short cold snaps in the mid teens. But were a good half zone to nearly a full zone milder than where PJ is.

• pj_orlando_z9b
    12 years ago

I know it doesn't look too good but I figure I'll give it until Jun 1 (unless it obviously dies by then). Compared to other palms I've lost, this one has a very solid and firm base. There is no soft tissue at all. I found this pic from November. I guess I did have more than strap leaves but this wasn't as big as it might appear.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Ryan

Mine were nuked back by one of many blown forecasts last year
    which caused them (with my-lack of-help)to see 18F last fall.

It did make them easier to cover last fall...now-one of them just threw out a leaf 3' across!

I meant pot plant by "sink" the pots.....in the ground.

I bet they will magically blast off if you do-then you can just dig them up later.....
    I bet planted in front of a nice brick wall would work-if you have one(-:

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I have terrible luck with washy's in pots. I currently own no washingtonias and its because I could never get the darn thing to grow in a pot. If I found one for a nice size and good price, I would immediately plant it in the ground, wouldnt even think about putting it in a pot!
    -Alex

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

im growing one in a pot and its growing like a rocket, 12 leaves in 1 year! The catch is the roots have reached out the drainage holes lol. But im sure it will slow down when i cut those roots.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So here's the pics of my filiferas. (First pic is a bonus waggie pic) They're probably about 3 years old. They're a little over 2 feet tall. I would think that they should be bigger by now, and I would have thought these pots would be big enough. What do you guys think? And I haven't overpruned these at all. Maybe they need more water??

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Your pics confirmed that my small potted Washys are also filiferas. They look identical to yours (but not burned) in terms of petioles, color and fibers on fronds. Thanks!