Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you own a coconut tree?

Posted by bananafan 9b FL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 21:56

Do you have own a coconut tree? If so I'd like to hear of your growing experience. I bought a coconut tree about 1-2 years back when it was about 4-5 ft. Last fall, I planted it in the ground. Now it has grown up to about 6 ft tall (to the tip of the tallest frond). I know it doesn't like the cold here, so I placed a lot of Christmas lights around it. It's a good thing that the Winter here did not freeze, but we have been having many chilly night temperature even until now ...

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. I'm eager to see how it will grow and my question for those of you who grow coconut trees and especially in FL. How successful have you been in growing it and has any of yours fruited yet?

I'm looking into a miniature variety to purchase. It will bear fruit at about 6ft tall .. If I can get hold of one, it'll probably be easier to protect it from the cold as well.

Picture taken on Feb 1, 2014.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you own a coconut tree?

Another picture of the tree taken a month later (March 25, 2014)

o

Hi
I'm in 10 so coconuts are no problem . I removed mine several years ago as I have a small lot and they are very messy lol. You will probably be able to grow them depending on the moods of the winter gods ??lol
Good luck gary

o

I’ve seen lots of dwarf coconuts fruiting at about head height or a little more, but when you add the height of the fronds you can multiply by about 2. Still, a lot smaller than a fruiting tall variety. There was a bloke posting on palmtalk who had a tall variety growing in his yard in Perth WA. For winter he had built a greenhouse over it using plastic. Each year he built it higher but knew there would finally be a limit. After a number of years he stopped posting about it so I assumed it had finally succumbed. But he got some good years and enjoyment out of it. So it’s always worth a try if you’re prepared to put in that bit of extra effort and understand that there will finally be a cut off point.

o

Here's my coconut palm in better days (last summer). It has been attacked by spider mites all winter indoors and it looks very defeated right now (although in this pic you can also see spider mite damage from the previous winter indoors). I hope it recovers well when it goes back outside. It's down to 2 fronds.

Yours is looking nice!
-Alex

o

Lucky you, Gary, that you can grow coconut trees there. I wish I was in your planting zone.

When you say that your coconut tree was messy, was it because it dropped too many coconuts or fronds, or both? If it was due to the fruit, it must have been a good mess to have :) (especially if you enjoy drinking coconut water and eating its flesh). The flesh of the young coconut is tender and aromatic. Have you taken any pictures before you removed it?

o

Tropicalbreeze,

Yes, I've heard of that miniature coconut tree. I've been trying to source out one to buy, but haven't been successful so far. It would be the most appropriate kind of coconut tree to grow here. Since it's small, it would be a lot easier to take care and provide protection for it.

As to trying to protect it as the guy in Perth, I doubt I could do that ... lol. But, that's an idea though. It must have been a great accomplishment for him to beat the odds with his zeal and determination and to have also enjoyed the fruit of his labor.

How are your coconut trees doing these days?

o

Tropicalzone7,

Thanks for sharing the picture of your coconut tree. I'm sorry to hear that it has been attacked by spider mites. This reminds me of my previous coconut tree I planted in the ground. When it was in the pot, it was doing so well, but due to the Winter stress, it began to turn yellowish and shrink in size. I was also careless to have let it stand outside in chilling weather for a while. Now that you've mentioned spider mites, I'm sure that it was these bugs that caused its demise of my coconut tree last year after it was planted in the ground.

So, the good question is how do you get rid of spider mites? Is there anything you can spray on it that will help it overcome the infestation?

o

I have been spraying a mix of water, dishwashing soap. and a couple of drops of neem oil to keep the spider mites from destroying my coconut palm. If it wasn't for me spraying my plant once every 2 weeks for the past 2 months, I think my coconut palm would be mostly dead by now.

Neem oil is completely natural and non-toxic. While I don't recommend it, it is apparently safe to eat for both humans and pets so it really is a great pesticide! So far it has worked well for me with spider mites, mealy bugs, aphids, and whiteflies. It takes several applications to get it to really work and you should only spray it during the early evening hours when the sun is not strong so the oil doesn't cook your plant in the sun. My oleanders used to have an insanely bad aphid problem that would never completely go away, but after using neem oil on it a few times over the course of a few weeks the problem went away. 3 years later and they still haven't returned.

I hope the spider mites don't bother your new coconut palm. They are pretty vicious.
-Alex

o

Hi
Actually it was both lol . More important was the size They get very large very fast . I let the neighbors grow them , there are 25 within view of my window . and best of all they take care of them lol The fruit is rather mixed most years it does not mature . always a hazard especially during windstorms.
I concentrate on the understory palms for my small area .though I'm much more of an orchid ,epiphyte fan.
Good luck they are a fantastic palm in the right place !!
gary

o

A recent picture of mine.

o

Thanks, Gary. Your feedback has somewhat brought some new awakening for me ... maybe I'm having one of those illusive gardening dreams again .. growing coconut tree in my area! Well, I think that what makes all of us gardeners--trying and trying until we succeed or fail ... lol. But, seriously, I'm looking into some coconut tree alternatives and have been learning about some Bolivian mountain coconut trees and mini coconut trees and many more that are a cold harder varieties that will thrive better in my area. They produce smaller size (golf ball sized) fruit and they are said to have similar tasting to the coconut fruit. Heard of any of them?

o

Kinzyjr,

Thanks for sharing your coconut tree picture. Nice size tree with pretty fronds! It's good that you're planting it close to the house. It will offer some protection. So, how old is your tree and how long have you planted it in the ground?

o

Hi
The two that I had came with the house . have no idea how long they were planted but were around 20 feet .
I removed them because of the constant dropping fruit and fronds . You don't run over a coconut with a lawnmower .Okay maybe once lol. The fruit seldom matured though I did manage to germinate several over the years . Couple of these are still growing in the neighbors yards .
The palms that I'm still growing are queen, areca ,Elephant ,joey,bottle and a couple of licualas
My entire lot is only 75x100 feet and I'm an epiphyte freak so something had to go lol
If you go to the green markets you can often get the nuts for 50 cents or less.Heck you can get them at the fruit stands with and without the husks for a buck.
Have never ventured into the varieties . The fruit I grow
are carombola Suriname cherry ,two types of guava ,papaya, gingers and my favs aroids though I don't eat them lol I do grow lotus but seldom enough for a salad lol Did have banana but took way too much room .
Good luck with whatever you decide!! gary

o

Bananafan,
The coconut palm in the picture has been in the ground for 2 years now, with an overall age of about 4 years. I got it at Home Depot in Vero Beach after the 2009-2010 winter.

I figured if I could keep it somewhere easy to cover, it could get some good size to it before a real nasty freeze had the chance to kill it.

o

Well, this is my coconut palm tree now .... 8 months since the picture was taken in March this year. It has grown to as tall as the 8 ft fence there--probably 2 ft taller from before. The hot and humid summer with lots of rainfall here really did help it to grow. I have just finished putting Christmas lights around it again. I also wrapped the trunk with some sack cloth. Hopefully, it will survive in this coming cold.

It would be nice to hear from those of you who shared about your coconut trees. How are your coconut trees doing now?

o

My 3 coconuts in NorCal.

photo imagejpg1_zps09a3fb69.jpg

o

Nice babies you've got there, coconutman.

o

Thanks bananafan,The golden panama tall is from Home Depot. The 2 green malayan dwarfs are from Florida.when I was still living there I was visiting Sanibel island,knowing that coconuts grow well down there I prepared my tree trimmer for a little picking.While getting some water coconuts from the tree, two ripe nuts fell to the ground and suprised me! luckily I didn't got hit!They were kind of dried up,and water sloshing.4 months later when I moved to California they germinated into these beauties.

Getting some water nuts!

photo imagejpg1_zpsbf34c609.jpg

My stash! Those 2 in the rear of the seat are the ones that sprouted!

photo c63c10d9-1692-4ecf-85ae-ee8223bf7b1e_zpsa6a37ebe.jpg

o

This mornings sunrise. Cloud was a bit too low to get much colour, but I got 2 of my larger coconuts into the pic (centre and to the far right).

pt n 141116 02

o

• Posted by kinzyjr Lakeland, FL 9a (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 21:52

Coconutman,
I'm hoping my Malayan sets fruit like that at some point!

o

Just be patient kinzyjr in around 4-5 years time it should be mature enough to start flowering.I used to have a green malayan dwarf around your size back then.

photo imagejpg1_zps12d17a5c.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here