Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Do you own a coconut tree?

bananafan
10 years ago

Do you have own a coconut tree? If so I'd like to hear of your growing experience. I bought a coconut tree about 1-2 years back when it was about 4-5 ft. Last fall, I planted it in the ground. Now it has grown up to about 6 ft tall (to the tip of the tallest frond). I know it doesn't like the cold here, so I placed a lot of Christmas lights around it. It's a good thing that the Winter here did not freeze, but we have been having many chilly night temperature even until now ...

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. I'm eager to see how it will grow and my question for those of you who grow coconut trees and especially in FL. How successful have you been in growing it and has any of yours fruited yet?

I'm looking into a miniature variety to purchase. It will bear fruit at about 6ft tall .. If I can get hold of one, it'll probably be easier to protect it from the cold as well.

Picture taken on Feb 1, 2014.

Comments (120)

• bananafan2
    8 years ago

I wonder what variety of coconut tree in the picture you posted, PJ. I wonder what is the most dwarf variety there is out there.

• GreenTwilight
    8 years ago

Yes, that's morning sun.

• Miroslav Janočko
    8 years ago

Cocos nucifera 15.4.2016

• engadye
    8 years ago
    Very pretty plant !
  • bananafan2
    7 years ago

Great looking coconut seedling you've got there! Your orchard looks nice too. Are those trees in the background some kind of fruit trees too?

• Miroslav Janočko
    7 years ago

bananafan2

Yes, there are fruit trees (plum, peach, pear) in the backroung.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Are u in fl jano very nice tree there
  • bananafan2
    7 years ago

Miroslav,

That's one nice thing about growing an orchard in a colder place .. I remember you having mentioned that you were from Slovakia. I still remember our trip to Ukraine many years back. We came across many plum and peach trees even along the side walks. So, are you growing those fruit trees for commercial purposes, or are they just your private collections? Your coconut tree there is sure a rare sight in your part of the world.

• Miroslav Janočko
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

bananafan2

My trees are growing for private collections. But last 3 years fruits was damaged by frost and hailstorm.

• PRO
    GardenDude
    7 years ago

I own a nice little one that is still sprouted from the coconut!

I am posting this on the bottom of every comment I post but, my friend found an online petition to try to get people to try to preserve native U.S. palm trees and keep them alive, here is the link https://www.change.org/p/united-states-department-of-agriculture-usda-preserve-u-s-native-palm-trees

• mesembs
    7 years ago

I don't own a tree, but I love all the pictures on this post!

• Miroslav Janočko
    7 years ago

Cocos nucifera 15.7.2016

• engadye
    7 years ago
    There she is I planted her on the ground in March of 2016 . Before had her in a big pot
  • bananafan2
    7 years ago

Miroslav,

Very nice picture of your coconut seedling and the pool. I'm sure it will enjoy the water body close by as well as the warm weather in your part of the world now.

Mine isn't doing too great. It's showing some kind of disease, but it's still pushing off new fronds. I'll try to post the latest pic soon.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Engadye, your little coconut tree there looks happy. I love the landscape surrounding it. Is this the same one you've planted close to your house?

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Here are the pictures of my coconut tree taken in May this year:

The older fronds look very tired and tattered. There are also yellow spots on them.

This was in Feb 2014: Compare this to the two pictures above, the tree has grown some, but the trunk now is still barely visible. I think this is a dwarf variety. I don't know how much trunk height to expect of a mature dwarf tree.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Thank you ! Yes it's the same one I decided to plant it around other plants ! She doing good !
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    Miros yes love how u planted your next to the. Pool ! Once it's grown u will get shade good job .
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    Banafan my coconut tree looked like ur too ive Been trimming the leaves once they get dry .
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    I need info how to keep my coconut tree warm this winter she planted on the grown
  • kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    7 years ago

Looks like I am losing my Atlantic Tall due to necessary root disturbance, but the Malayan Dwarf continues to grow like a weed:

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Hi my coconut tree it's outside with a comforter n clear light
  • Miroslav Janočko
    7 years ago

Cocos nucifera 24.12.2016

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Engadye,

Do you have the latest picture of your coconut tree to share here? I'm glad you're giving it some protection. I forgot ... what was your plant zone again?

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Miroslav,

Thanks for sharing your little guy there. It's amazing to see it trying to push off a new frond there for you. Apparently, it must be quite happy to be indoor as well in your part of the world.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Here's a picture of mine taken last September:

It isn't doing quite as well now since the night temperature has dipped, but I'm hoping it will bounce back (which it usually does) when the night temperature warms up a little bit again.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

kinzylr,

I must have missed the latest picture you posted of your Malayan Dwarf. Sorry to hear your Atlantic Tall didn't make it, but your Malayan Dwarf there is looking beautiful and healthy and it's good to know it's growing like a weed for you :)

Mine was doing ok in the warmer months, but now ... it looks beat up. If I had to plant one again, I'll try to plant it close to the house like what you've done. I can see that it's making a difference there for you.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Kissimmee is my plant zone I'll put a pic today
  • kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    7 years ago

@bananafan2,

The Atlantic Tall started declining and I removed it when there was no chance to save it. I'm going to get another come spring, provided they are available. The Malay Dwarf has enjoyed 2 very mild winters. It put out a new frond in December both of the last 2 years. My ultimate goal is to have it set fruit. Don't worry about them getting beat up a little over the winter. Mine gets some browning out toward the ends of the fronds over the winter even in it's protected little area, and isn't nearly as attractive until about May or June, when the nights are consistently warm.

@engadye,

We're practically neighbors lol! Looking forward to a pic. :)

• pj_orlando_z9b
    7 years ago

kinzjr...I agree. My palm is the same and even the healthy, fruiting ones around town all have a decent amount of brown on the lowest fronds thru spring. Mine has never stopped growing this winter and I fertilized per my normal schedule.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    That's mines now had to cut off some leafs but still going !:)
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    Wow looking pretty healthy there .
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    This is mine today I trim some of the burnt leafs off
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    Can anyone see my coconut tree ?
  • Miroslav Janočko
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, my coconut palm died now in early February 2017. :-( The coconut palm was planted in late April 2014. I was happy almost three years. Since I live in Slovakia in Central Europe, we have the little light/sun and the low humidity in winter season.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Oh no miro
  • bananafan2
    7 years ago

Thanks, kinzlyr, for your comments. Yes ... I'm certainly looking forward to the warmer months where all our coconut trees will send out more new fronds for us. Hopefully, when it's big enough, it will be stronger and can withstand a little bit more of the cold weather here.

Keep us posted of your Dwarf Malayan. I do enjoy the pictures and seeing how everybody's coconut tree is doing.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Engadye,Very nice pictures of your coconut tree. It's looking good there. I like the nice mulch you have there.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Peejer,

It makes a lot of sense that yours looks so wonderful in the picture. I bet with the pool next to it, it's creating a microclimate for your palms. I heard the water body actually brings the temperature a tad warmer.

I think you've hit the 4 points rightly. Where my coconut tree is planted now, it is not the sunniest spot in the yard. It is planted in the south end of my yard where my hubby told me that it's supposed to be less windy. I planted it next to the fence to let it have a little more protection from the cold wind. I do realize the space constraint ... which is the result of me trying to plant too many things in my limited yard space! ... lol. But, I certainly will consider fertilizing it more frequently and giving it more water. I was holding back the watering during the colder months for fear of root rot since it isn't growing as much.

Thanks for your feedback. I can't wait for the warmer months to come when it will do its thing ... pushing out new fronds! Look forward to more updates of your coconut tree when it shows more growth. Hopefully, it will bear some fruit for you soon. By the way, how long does a dwarf Malayan bear its first fruit? I was told mine was a dwarf Malayan too.

• bananafan2
    7 years ago

Miroslav,

So sorry to hear that your coconut seedling has died. It has been a brave little guy ... trying to survive in your climate there for quite a while. You've done a wonderful job trying to keep it alive for so long. It's good that while it grew for you, you were able to enjoy the company of a tropical palm in Slovakia!

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Have a ? The wind ruin one of the leafs on my coconut tree U think that the tree will die ?
  • tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

How bad is the damage? How many good leaves are left on the plant? A photo would help. The leaves produce food for the plant so it's not good to lose any through damage. If it has been growing well then there should be enough food reserves in it to grow a new replacement leaf.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Tropic there is only one leaf left ! :( I'll send pic as soon as I get home .
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    They only leaf left is the one on the left ... right one broke had to cut it off ! Don't wanna lose my tree what can I do ?
  • engadye
    7 years ago
    There is she I am sad I hope she survives
  • tropicbreezent
    7 years ago

It's always better to avoid cutting off leaves if possible. While they're still green and attached they're still providing food for the plant. Having only one leaf left and it being your cold weather means it will really be struggling. You'll have to try and protect it from the wind and cold. Some people build a plastic structure over them to act as a temporary 'greenhouse'. After that you have to just wait and see if it starts to produce a new spear.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Ok thank you in the cold I always put a a thick comfort on it . Yes the only reason I cut it bc was ruin from the wind .. knocked it Down
  • bananafan2
    7 years ago

Engadye,

Sorry to see your coconut tree struggling. For the past few years, I've been stringing Christmas lights around mine. I also used a vinyl table cloth with flannel back to wrap around it whenever the temperature dropped further down. Your idea of wrapping it around with a comforter might have worked for you in the past. Don't give up on it too quickly yet. Mine is also looking not too good now ... Hope the weather will warm up for us soon and our coconut trees will all survive.

• engadye
    7 years ago
    Thank you banana. Tree I am keeping a close eye on it .yes hopelly this weather start warning up quick
  • Andrew t
    7 years ago

I have few coconut trees in my garden. Yes, I live in tropics where we export cocnut :-) @ engadye

I have seen trees like this recovering. But you do not have to cut off leave even though it is damaged. you can see some general information here

http://www.tropicalorganicgarden.com/tropical-gardening-coconut-tree/