Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
germinating seeds - male and female seeds

Posted by erik2010 South Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 23:09

A palm book at the local library, Palms of South Florida, talks about flower stalks ( young seeds? ) of certain palms carrying flowers of both sexes,such as the Queen palm which carries female flowers alone at the base, the central portion are triads with two males each and the tips are completely males. Or in the case of a Christmas palm it states there are two males to each female on the lower portion of the branchlets. Question is if there are male and female flowers do they have to "bump nasties" or pollinate to produce a viable seed? Is this accomplished by wind, bees? I notice alot of bees around my Christmas palms when these flowers or seeds are in the early stages of development. Is it safe to assume that if a Christmas palm seed matures to a red friut it is viable and worth planting for germination regardless if it is male or female?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: germinating seeds - male and female seeds

Only female flowers can bear fruit. It works the same as we do. The males must fertilize the female and the female will bear the offspring. Pollen can be transfered many ways - wind, water, animals....

In general, some plants can successfully produce viable seed if they are unfertilized while most need to be fertilized.

I'm pretty sure Christmas & Queen Palms must be fertilized to produced seeds.

o
RE: germinating seeds - male and female seeds

Christmas palms have both male and female flowers in the same inflorescence.So there is not a male tree and a female one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here