Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloyzius

My crazy trachycarpus fortunei story

aloyzius
12 years ago

So maybe four years ago I got the crazy idea to plant palm trees in salt lake city, Utah. Brrrr, and thanks to you guys, it sounded pretty easy and I gave it a shot. I was terrible and everything died except two windmill palms. They survived the winters just fine with a thermo cube and some Christmas lights and a crappy tarp.

Then, I started the move to Florida. For two years I was basically commuting to and from Florida. I dug up my trachys and potted them and they spent the next two winters in my parents garage. In the warmer months they were left outside to be forgotten about. But they survived. Overpruned and dried out and neglected. When I was in Utah I would see my little guys and get depressed and wonder how I would get them home before my parents killed them. They were only about four feet tall and I knew I could mail them but they were so bad looking and they were still dormant from spending winter in the garage. But I had to try.

So Three weeks ago i pulled them out of their big old pots and hosed off the dirt. I wrapped the roots up in wet paper and a trash bag. I had pots and soil and everything ready when they arrived. And the little guys are bouncing back. I thought a week in a box and the climate change would finish them off. They were severely over pruned and look terrible with short petioles and sleepy moving spears but I have growth.

These things are tough!

I will post some pics as soon as I get my girlfriends cheesy iPad figured out. My laptop died.

Comments (5)