Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White powder on indoor palm

Posted by always_outside 7 DFW, TX (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 08 at 23:58

I have a palm as pictured below and I noticed a lot of the newer leaves were turning brown, so I did a close-up and noticed tiny little white dust like particles literally all over the plant's leaves. I also noticed some webby material, like cobwebs. I was horrified and immediately took the plant outside. It is currently enduring 40 degree nights and 70 degree day temperatures. I feel bad about deserting it outside, but don't know what to do about this problem. I can't use any toxic chemicals. This palm has two NEW shoots coming out, so I know the plant itself is healthy despite this mite, dust, whatever it is. Please help me save this plant. :( What do I need to do to save it? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White powder on indoor palm

Your palm has spider mites. This is not unusual over the winter season with indoor cultivation. I had this recently with a Christmas palm. I immediately dragged it into the shower and liberally showered it (being sure to especially get the underside of the leaves (some soapy water helps). It looks better now and I just have to hold out until my frost safe date for the plant when I can get it out in part sun. Not sure it is reliably warm enough in your area for it to be not now--especially as it came from a warm home. Unacclimated leaves may burn some due to cooler temps and direct sun (watch those min. temps!) PS. You can also try using an insecticidal soap aftering giving it a shower to inhibit further infestation. Good luck!

o
RE: White powder on indoor palm

njoasis: Thank you for your helpful information. Mites - ooooh, doesn't sound too good. I never thought about washing it off in the shower, but that sounds like something I can do to help this plant! I will give it a good cleaning tomorrow in the shower and use some insecticidal soap like you suggested (I actually have some from last year when an outdoor plant got aphids!). I'm glad I'm able to salvage this beautiful plant. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here