Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_2010

My new Royal Palm Pics!!! (Jacksonville, FL)

jason_2010
14 years ago

My new Royal Palm i planted today! My coconut palm is in the back

Comments (23)

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I Bought this Royal palm in central Florida yesterday. A place called orchids in Sebastian. FL. Only $215. would have been well over $700 at any other nursery. It was planted there from seed a few years ago i was told. I am really pushing the palm limits here in jax, but i love it!!!

• royalpaulm
    14 years ago

Jason that Royal looks great in your yard there. Royals are quite a bit more hardy than most give credit for. They can take year after year defoliation, and grow a new canopy rather quickly. Also handle light to moderate frost MUCH better than a coconut. All the royals I've seen around Orlando passed this years hard freeze with flying colors. Some
    damage yes, but very much alive and kicking.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Royal, that is great to know! i think the royal palm is my favorite of all palms! My neighbors seen it today and thought it was amazing! most of them are from the north, so i dont think they have never seen this type of palm before. i am sure i am the only one here in jax with a royal unless someone else comes forward

• mike-jaramillo
    14 years ago

Being cuban myself I love those palms looks great!

• ncpalmzone7
    14 years ago

CONGRATS !!on your purchase, it looks great with the coco beside it

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank u ncpalmzone! Now, lets hope it survives this up coming winter here in jax!

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Looks great. Hard to protect at that size, but hopefully this winter will be more average and you wont need to give it too much protection.

Good luck

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

I'll try and get up some pics of my Royal, triple Foxtail, and my newest baby, Traveller's Palm soon.

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jaxboro, you still owe me pics from the late winter....LOL! cant wait to see your pics!

• jaxboro
    14 years ago

Hey, my yard has been a construction zone for a while, gimmie a break! ;)

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Looking good and tropical.

Shouldn't the coco palm be planted within 6 feet of the southern part of your home to give it a zone boost?
    Its out in the open a lot and will need winter wraping during cold snaps.

• jimhardy
    14 years ago

Nice -pretty palm

• jaxboro
    13 years ago

and, so how is it and the coconut doing now?

• garyiryna
    13 years ago

Yes a real great looker. Good price too. How's it comming along? The Madeira temp is 16C in winter, and upto 30 C rest of year. Can the Cuban Royal Palm cope with these temps? ( I take it yours is a Cuban)?

• zeeth
    13 years ago

Yes, Roystonea regia can do fine with those temps

• garyiryna
    13 years ago

Are Royals fast growing from seed? Or seedlings?
    Are they ok neat coast?

• garyiryna
    13 years ago

What is the difference between Royal Cuban Palm and the Florida Palm ?

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jaxboro, my cocnut palm i ended up giving to my neighboor. it has already died. he must have not really watered or something. Were my cocnut palm was, i moved my foxtail too. the foxtail hasnt done bad this summer, but not too green of leaves. my royal is doing fine. i also talked my neighboor into getting a royal which he did. its about the same size as mine. how are yours doing???

• garyiryna
    13 years ago

Where ever in the world I see Royals, it's never really green in top condition. What's the secret in keeping it green? Does too much full sun make it go brown looking?

• jason_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

garyiryna, as you know, i live In jacksonville, were these palms are really not exsistent. I bought this Royal near west palm beach this past April. the dead leaves you see are the ones that were on there when i bought the tree. That pic was taken months ago. i have new fonds on there now, but the same ones are still one there. we will see how this palm survives this winter up here. i will have it covered for sure. we will see if it lives

• chinandega81
    10 years ago

Any update? How are your palms doing no, 3 years later?

• robert peet
    3 years ago

any update on the royal or coconut palm?