Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone seen this palm?

Posted by miketropic 6B - 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 0:50

It is new to me but may not be new to anyone else but I can't find any info on it..here is the listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Purple-Latan-Palm-Super-New-Hybrid-Very-Beautifu-/370321232397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5638dd920d

(Latania longtrariodes (Gaertn.) is the proper name but I can't find a single thing about it anywhere

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone seen this palm?

The correct reference is:
Latania lontaroides (Gaertn.) H.E.Moore, Principes 7: 85 (1963).

Some information here:
www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Latania/lontaroides.html

It looks a bit like a juvenile Livistona mariae, except its leaflets don't spread as wide. From the link it seems it develops the full fan as the plant gets older. The local nurseries have them here but not described as "Super New Hybrid", just Red Latan. From memory they're about $10 to $15 that size.

o

pretty sure that is a gimmick to make you buy a relatively common, but very nice looking palm. Young plants are strikingly colorful, I think WAY more colorful than a Livistona mariae.... but sadly as they mature, they end up looking a lot like all the other Latanias, and even quite a bit like a Bismarckia... .which isn't a bad thing of course, just a bit disappointing after being so spectacularly colored as a juvenile.

o

I think I could get along alright if it at least kept the red edges..don't think I would pay a very high price for it though.

o

The juvenile L. mariae are as red as the Red Latans, they also lose the redness as they age, the same as the Latans.

o

I agree they are red, but never seen on green and red like this ... these L lontaroides look like candy to me.

o

Looks pretty normal to me. I'm not an expert, but have owned a few of these in the past.

o

I agree, that is normal looking for Latania lontaroides, but my point was L lontaroides coloration is different from Livistona mariae. Here is a Livistona mariae seedling... nice, but not the same as Latania lontaroides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here